knocking/popping sound from dash

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

faulk175

Reaction score
My wife has an 06 Exp xlt. 100k miles. She said when she started it this morning it had a constant popping/knocking sound coming from somewhere in the dash. After she drove it for a few minutes it went away. Noise is there wether the HVAC is on or off. It seems like it does it every time she starts it. Any suggestions? Thanks

KC Dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sure sounds like a blend door motor gear popping.. Does it move from hot to cold easily and can you feel the difference in air temp?

OP
OP
F

faulk175

Reaction score
KC Dave-Sorry for the delay. I've been so busy with work lately, I haven't been back home for 3 weeks. My wife said the heat doesn't blow warm air at all. I am thinking it is the blend door also. I have read that this is a 10-12 hr job and that the entire dash has to be removed. Are there any shortcuts or tips or is just something you have to man up and tackle head first? Thanks

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
depending on your desired choice for repair.... I went the route of the "heatertreater"... basically had to remove glove box and cut some hidden part of the dash then cut into phelum(sp?) box to replace the blend door.... was easier than removing entire dash but I had to cut... cant tell unless you remove my glove box.... might be an option for you

OP
OP
F

faulk175

Reaction score
Thanks Walnuts. I'll check it out. Any other tips or words of wisdom from anyone?

KC Dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Honestly, I havent done one on an expedition.. Had to replace the Defrost door on an 01 Explorer Sport Trac, and it took 10+ hours to replace the entire plenum assy. It was a big job, not impossible, but very time consuming. There were even nuts behind the engine that were an F'in PITA to get to.. (Holding the Plenum to the firewall)

In my case, since it was not the blend door, I had to replace the whole plenum. ($360 part) IF it was just the blend door, I definately would have tried to cut the repair hole to fix it. You can always replace the whole plenum later if needed.

Also, keep in mind if you are hearing clicking, it might not be the door.. It MAY be the blend door motor. I would pull the motor off the top of the blend door (top of the plenum, POSSIBLY accessable thru glove box opening if you drop the glove box) and see if the door moves freely.

Good Luck!

OP
OP
F

faulk175

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Its hard for me to diagnose as I haven't heard it myself yet. So if it is popping, it could possibly be the motor?

OP
OP
F

faulk175

Reaction score
UPDATE. I finally got a chance to talk to my wife long enough to find out some specifics. If the thermostat is set all the way to HOT or all the way to COLD, it pops. If she turns the knob a little, it stops. It doesn't pop anywhere in between HOT or COLD. She said the air from the vents is true to what the thermostat is set to. Does this help clear anything up? Anymore suggestions? Thanks