Largest GD Trailer 2020 Expy can safely tow long term?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

umshanq

Reaction score
Just completed a 4630 mile trip out to Yellowstone and back. Avg 9.4 MPG towing an 275BH TT. I was just under the max weights. We carefully weighed everything we put in the TT. Including the propane tanks and battery. It came out to 550lbs. The TT drywight was 6480. The TT GVWR is 9480. I had it weighed at the cat scale. With everyone in the expy plus full of gas. I was at the following weights

steer axle 3400
Drive axle 4380
Trailer axle 6560
Total axle 14340

have the blue ox WDH.
I have a 2019 platinum max with the HD tow package. Watched the transmission temp. It ran 214. On the entire trip only had one rather steep grade. Where the max transmission temp hit 243 for about 2 min. Then started back down.

What's your payload on this trip?

RustyOval

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would like to pile on here. I've done a ton of research on hitch weight, GVWR, payload, etc. What I have discovered is that there are no consistent numbers and the only way to know what works is to look at the sticker on the trailer. Now, with that being said, the guidelines provided from the trailer manufacturer give you the amounts probably +/- 10%.

I too have a question about trailering. I am interested in a 2800BH. Here are the specs from the manufacturer:

UVW
6238 lbs
Hitch Weight
604 lbs
GVWR
7995 lbs
Length
32' 0"
Height
11' 1"

Here are the specs from my 2020 Exp Max (with HD towing package)
GVWR: 7400
GCVWR: 15,200
Payload: 1621
Towing: 9,000

If I factor in about 500lbs of passengers (2 adults, 3 kids) and about 300lbs of cargo (in the vehicle), I have about 200 lbs of payload remaining

I've been using this as my calculator when looking at rigs

Doesn't this seem like it works and still maintain enough cushion and margin for not being at the maximum for everything?

You can tow that camper, just pack light witout water and load up with groceries when you get to your destination.

OP
OP
M

Matthew Marlowe

Reaction score
We've pretty much decided to buy the Grand Design Transcend Xplor 265 with a dry weight between 6300-6500 lbs and gvwr of 7500-7995 lbs depending on how it arrives.

We just need the layout. It does everything the 2800bh does, but with less clutter, more usable bunks, and a more spacious bathroom.

Caveats.. it doesn't have exterior ladder, dry weight doesnt include TV, no exterior kitchen, and floor insulation is reduced from imagine line.

For the first two years, while kids still at home.. we might be close to payload limit of expy..but after kids in college and minimal payload..I'm hoping we will be fine. Or maybe we will have to upgrade to newer gen expy eventually if safety concerns assuming next gen expy increases payload at all..

Pairing it with geny torsion hitch and propride wdh/antisway. A little worried that it's 32ft .. that's my biggest concern. Difficult pushing button on greater than 30ft trailer for expy...

YouTube trailer video:
Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Pairing it with geny torsion hitch and propride wdh/antisway. A little worried that it's 32ft .. that's my biggest concern. Difficult pushing button on greater than 30ft trailer for expy...

YouTube trailer video:
Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Safe travels! I suggest visiting a scale once you're fully loaded for a trip.