1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Largest GD Trailer 2020 Expy can safely tow long term?

Discussion in 'Towing & Hauling' started by Matthew Marlowe, Jun 20, 2020.

1. Matthew Marlowe

Matthew Marlowe New Member

What I really want bad, but I'm guessing would get me in trouble bigtime:

Alternatives that might work out and be safer and rated reasonably within limits, but are either smaller or have lower quality construction:

Which would you choose if you would be stuck with it permanently? Alternatives like the Airstream 30 classic? GD transcend seem to have better construction than the imagine...

Explore 265bh seems to be the winner by default...

Tow vehicle: 2020 Expy Plat Max Tow, gen-y hd 10k torsion hitch...likely upgrade at trailer purchase to equalizer wdh w/ trailer sway...

Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
  2. JasonH

JasonH Full Access Members

The first two are too heavy and the last is pushing it. If you're traveling with family, they're all too heavy. You need to be closer to 7k loaded. It's very easy to go over. Upgraded mattresses, television, chairs, tables, utensils, tools, food, drinks... all of these things will add substantial weight. I suggest looking at lightweight or shorter models. Some of the cabinetry and finishings are nice, but they add weight. Most Expedition trims don't have a lot of payload to work with.

3. Ian Gilmore

Ian Gilmore Member

How many people are you sleeping/bringing with you?

4. Matthew Marlowe

Matthew Marlowe New Member

Kids are going off to college soon, so should most of the time just be 2 people plus a dog. We have 2020 platinum max tow Expy. But, Kids will visit hopefully so occasionally might be 4 people plus two dogs. Not sure how frequently we will move the trailer. We are looking at moving into one while we move out of (escape) California and build a retirement house elsewhere plus travel country. Estimating living in it for 2-5yrs and would prefer not to feel too cramped. I could get a larger trailer and rent/lease super duty, but that seems overkill when we already have and want expy long term.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
  5. Ian Gilmore

Ian Gilmore Member

I think I would buy a 2500RL or 2600RB AND a Propride/Hensley hitch. That will eliminate 99% of the drama from a "sway" and control perspective. You'll be flirting with Max payload, especially with 4 adults in the rig but... you know...

Couch and dinette will sleep plenty of visitors.

6. johnboneske

johnboneske Full Access Members

I saw this a fee weeks ago.. i saw a 2019 standard wheel base Expedition pulling a Outback 328RL which has a GVWR of 10500 and a dry weight of 8600. I asked the owner and he said it towed great, and was even good in the mountains. I think he was WAY over weight but it's his choice to make. My point is apparently the Expedition tows really good, so you should be fine. I posted the pic in another spot in here...

7. JasonH

JasonH Full Access Members

I don't endorse this. While the Expedition has plenty of power to handle heavy loads, the suspension and brakes will become a limitation. Leave enough margin for an emergency. Also, the vehicle has very little engine braking due to the small engine size. Better safe than sorry. Your family's life may depend on the decision you make.

I have only heard good things about ProPride and Hensley hitches, but they should not be viewed as compensating for an overweight trailering combination.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
  8. johnboneske

johnboneske Full Access Members

I dont disagree with you, at all! I tow a 2020 Outback 300ML which has a GVWR of 9500, with my 2003 Excursion 6.0 diesel and wouldn't want any more weight with my truck, but I was saying it could be done.

I have a Equalizer E4, and it's as good as the ProPride or Hensley in my opinion