Leaking sunroof, need new gasket? Any adjustments? What is acceptable amount of leaking?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fasttimes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So on my 10' Expy I have water all over the passenger seat, floor, and headliner. Going through web for cause I've found one of the drains was plugged up. I did my best with can air and weed-eater line and it seems to have cleared it up enough to drain the water when I did a test. The passenger front drain seems odd to me that I can only snake weed-eater line about 8" before I can go no further, but can go much further on the driver side. I partially took apart the headline and pillar covering and cannot find the drain tube much less the drain tube to plug, but whatever, seems to be working now.

But what really concerns me is water tests and seeing how much water is coming in the seams of the sunroof. Poured from a water bottle it's like a faucet, put out in rain is a bit better but it comes in all around the circumference of the sunroof glass. I tried adjusting the 4 torx screws and pushed up the glass a smidgen to see if it would help but it did marginally at best.

So what is an acceptable amount of water to come in? I was assuming maybe some slight dripping, but this is way more than that. And looking at replacement gaskets one, how much better can I expect improvement over the 10 year old present one? Has anyone replaced their gasket on the sunroof? Is it a simple procedure?

IMG_0924.jpg image0.jpeg

coupe11

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've got a 2014 and it has never had a sign of a leak. So, for me, it's no leaks.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Most will say nothing is acceptable and they have been leaking since they were invented (not mine). I can take or leave them, all they do is light up my white hair like a coconut snow cone and everyone gawks to see if they know you in this little town.

Last edited:

Mmart

Reaction score
I have sun roofs on both my 2010 Expy and my 2013 Taurus, I don’t see any water penetrating on either so I would say no water is acceptable.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bone dry on my 2007 Eddie Bauer, but moonroofs commonly leak a bit in the channel that’s what the drains are there for. If it’s excessive it’s time for gasket replacement.

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
the seals are designed to channel water, they are not water stoppers, the tubes are there to channel the water out and down to the ground.

my 2013 f150 and the 2010 both had blockages on the drains,
try LOW pressure air less than 10 psi to blow the tubes free of crap. both mine stopped up at the bottom where they exit the vehicle.

fishing line (weed eater is a good start) to snake them. after the lines were cleared we never had any more issues. never had any issue with the 16 expy as of yet.

OP
OP
F

Fasttimes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, I got the drains unclogged, but the amount of water that comes in is unacceptable.

Is the gasket replacement straight forward? Has anyone done it before? Require glue?

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't consider any water intrusion into the vehicle acceptable. Even my broken sunroof doesn't leak water into the interior. :p That said, the sunroof on my old Mountaineer was leaking like crazy by the time I sold it, but I no longer gave a damn as the thing was rusting all over and fixing it would have been pointless.

montazuma

Reaction score
You may need to consider disconnecting power and caulking it in. I’ve replaced my seal and it was relatively easy with some lube. But my seal was cracked all over and it still wasn’t leaking like yours is. The drains are designed to accommodate a slow drip leak, but like others have said if your sunroof glass is installed correctly it should not leak at all. I’m guessing you might have a deformity in the roof.

mnachreiner86

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No leaks on mine but I don’t use it except opening the shade [emoji2373]. I know what happens with too much use [emoji2361]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk