Leaking sunroof, need new gasket? Any adjustments? What is acceptable amount of leaking?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
F

Fasttimes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What a mess this has turned out to be. I eventually ordered a new gasket. Got that today and after installed it quite easily onto the glass using some soapy water. Then the fun began. Put it back in place and then went to start screwing in the screws and adjusting the height on the 4 corners. That wasn't very easy, getting all 4 corners to get right where I thought they should be was a struggle. Eventually it got close enough. Did a water test, a small bit of water came in and I figured I could maybe do some more adjustments to get it better.

I then decided to open the sunroof to see how it would re-seal when closing. Well, POP goes some small plastic parts and now the sunroof will not close. Track assembly broke. Took a better park of 45 min of attempting closings and removing bits of plastic to get it closed and I'll still need to prop something under one corner because it's now loose.

Initial homework online indicated this could be very costly to fix and sure enough I just returned from the local Ford dealer and was quoted $2500. Unbelievable.

Has anyone had any luck replacing the track assemblies themselves? I see kits online for $30, but I know the labor is the kicker.

TDGFordGuy

Full Access Members
Reaction score

TDGFordGuy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What a mess this has turned out to be. I eventually ordered a new gasket. Got that today and after installed it quite easily onto the glass using some soapy water. Then the fun began. Put it back in place and then went to start screwing in the screws and adjusting the height on the 4 corners. That wasn't very easy, getting all 4 corners to get right where I thought they should be was a struggle. Eventually it got close enough. Did a water test, a small bit of water came in and I figured I could maybe do some more adjustments to get it better.

I then decided to open the sunroof to see how it would re-seal when closing. Well, POP goes some small plastic parts and now the sunroof will not close. Track assembly broke. Took a better park of 45 min of attempting closings and removing bits of plastic to get it closed and I'll still need to prop something under one corner because it's now loose.

Initial homework online indicated this could be very costly to fix and sure enough I just returned from the local Ford dealer and was quoted $2500. Unbelievable.

Has anyone had any luck replacing the track assemblies themselves? I see kits online for $30, but I know the labor is the kicker.
Sunroof dr sells the tracked parts that break and a youtube video showing all the steps. Plan on a Sunrise to Sunset project by yourself. Some people report their local non-dealer shop installed the replacment tracked parts for a Quarter of the FoMoCo dealer cost.

$30?! What kit is that? $2500 for labor and Ford installs a whole new sunroof assembly is why $2500.

OP
OP
F

Fasttimes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, I watched a YouTube video that is seems to be pretty reasonable job to tackle. The removal of the headliner really looks like the hardest part. The video I saw the guy was working on a Platinum F150 and had to remove the passenger seat to angle out the sunroof assembly. Wonder if since it's an Expy that we can't just back it out the rear hatch?

Kits on Amazon for $34. Not sure how they stack up against Sunroof Dr, but sure look similar.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083W11QSJ/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_pf9CFbDWQ5PZP

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I open mine all the time and haven’t had an issue but this thread is making me think it’s staying closed here on out lol...

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, I watched a YouTube video that is seems to be pretty reasonable job to tackle. The removal of the headliner really looks like the hardest part. The video I saw the guy was working on a Platinum F150 and had to remove the passenger seat to angle out the sunroof assembly. Wonder if since it's an Expy that we can't just back it out the rear hatch?

Kits on Amazon for $34. Not sure how they stack up against Sunroof Dr, but sure look similar.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083W11QSJ/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_pf9CFbDWQ5PZP
Looks like it is worth every penny. I never open mine and actually I don't even like sun/moon roofs.

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Fwiw I've never had a sunroof leak that I didn't leave open in some manner. Every car I've owned except 2 have had them, so better part of 18 years of vehicles and no spontaneous leaks. I had a car I was t boned in the driver side, even buckled the roof, that car was here for awhile while I de molded and yanked the motor. No leaks... I'd say 0 water intrusion is the standard for most.

Sucks to hear something broke. Will remind me not to mess with it if I experience a leak in the future, that is until I have everything and the time necessary to complete repair. I'm a huge fan of them myself, while they can be a pita I feel the comfort they provide worth the risk. Its the closest my wife can have to a convertible so its a deal breaker without one.

Volleybiggs

Reaction score
I am having clogged drain problems. The only one not clogged is the passenger front. Both rear are coming out the rear pillars and even the lights. I know the hoses are connected as I pulled headliner down. Such BS the hoses end in the body I can not find them. Oh well will pay dealship 140 to clean will keep y’all posted

dl2011ms3

Reaction score
I have a 2016 that I bought in 2018, it leaked about 3 months after we bought it. We had a plugged drain going towards the rear. I bet you had a dirt dobber or road grime plug your drains.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk