Leaking Sunscreen dissolved my Center Console coating!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Check out this photo - my kid left a Banana Boat sunscreen container with cream on the outside in the center console overnight (one night!) and it *dissolved* and discolored the coating- really looks horrible.

1. I might have to re-think my choice of sunscreen brand...
2. Does anyone have advice on cleaning this up and repairing the damage or covering it up? It's super ugly and right in my vision (so will drive me bonkers)
3. Barring a decent repair, is it possible to replace an XLT center console top with the LTD top?
4. Anyone need a spare kid?

IMG_0602.jpg

Nate2020KR

Reaction score
That should be expected to to happen. Any sunscreen or cologne / perfume has solvents in them to aid in drying and or delivery. Kind of like you put nail polish, lacquer thinner, paint thinner on it, it will cook up the finish. I own a automotive paint store and well see this time to time. The plastic looks fine in the picture. You can pop the puce off, take it to a paint store, get a can of SEM interior spray, sand them clean tgen spray it. Than belt for kid to "remember to not do it again" , lol.

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That is not a problem with the sunscreen. The paint on this panel is pretty thin and weak. I accidentally scrapped the paint on this same edge while trying to clean it :mad:

OP
OP
ContinentalDrift
Reaction score
Wrapping is a really good idea- probably more manageable than trying to paint it. Failing that I may just try and replace it. Any idea where I can find that piece?