LED bulbs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tekrsq

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anybody converted their signal/brake/turn signal bulbs to LED ? are they normal bulbs, or are they CAN BUS, or CK style bulbs ?

Not interested in converting the headlights or fog lights right now. I've waisted 100's of dollars on LED bulbs for those, and they're all shit. I think it has to do with the indexing of the bulbs, but either way, I'm tired of waisting money on them, and I can actually see where I'm going with halogens I have in there.

Killer Ride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes I have replaced every bulb with LEDs. Did not spend hundreds though. All total including headlights maybe $100. Anyways I used the switchback styled ones. Yes with Canbus got them at SuperbrightLeds.com they give you a choice of what kind with or without Canbus

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
tekrsq

tekrsq

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I use SuperbrightLED a lot. Thanks !!!!! Just wasn't sure what style to get. What's the advantages of the switchback bulds ?

Killer Ride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have Clear lens corners so it gives off more light but the switchbacks bulbs in running lights mode are white as soon as you hit the turn signal they flash in yellow when your done they"switchback" to white, kind of like what newer cars do. Not as expensive as a new car though.The plus to this is they are bright so it's like fill in light to see even more.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
tekrsq

tekrsq

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have clear corners also. That sounds pretty cool, just not sure how the white parking lights will play with PD. I'll have to find some low rider guys and see if they have had any issues. There are TONS of those little rice burners, 3" off the ground running around here. lol

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have clear corners also. That sounds pretty cool, just not sure how the white parking lights will play with PD. I'll have to find some low rider guys and see if they have had any issues. There are TONS of those little rice burners, 3" off the ground running around here. lol
Here is the VA motor safety inspection manual
https://www.vsp.virginia.gov/downloads/Motor Vehicle Safety Inspection Manual - (Effective Date - September 01 2019).pdf

If you go to the safety section (https://www.vsp.virginia.gov/Safety.shtm) they have area offices that will take your call and answer your questions if not clear in the manual.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
superbrightleds is the place to go...i've changed every bulb to LEDs...no converter used...i changed the flasher relay...you will need to do that for sure and superbrightleds can give u the right relay to stop the hyperflash that you'll get.

OP
OP
tekrsq

tekrsq

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here is the VA motor safety inspection manual
https://www.vsp.virginia.gov/downloads/Motor Vehicle Safety Inspection Manual - (Effective Date - September 01 2019).pdf

If you go to the safety section (https://www.vsp.virginia.gov/Safety.shtm) they have area offices that will take your call and answer your questions if not clear in the manual.

For ***** and giggles, I've asked several inspection stations about this. All but 1 said they would fail the truck with these bulbs in them. A couple said they've had this argument before with some of the "car clubs" and the VaSPD has sided with the stations. The only place that said they would pass it, I'm not sure I'd take any vehicles there to be worked on anyway. lol. Anyway, still playing with the idea. A couple of the stations said they wouldn't pass my truck anyway because I "have too many lights on the front". Interesting, because I've never had issues getting it inspected.

Last night I noticed my passenger side parking light out, so I tapped on the housing. The light came on, so I decided to make sure the bulb was seated in the socket. When I went to take the plug out of the housing, it literally started to fall apart in my hands. The plastic was just breaking apart. So I guess I'll order new plugs now. lol.

Here's the front of my truck:
20200901_180106a.jpg

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
For ***** and giggles, I've asked several inspection stations about this. All but 1 said they would fail the truck with these bulbs in them. A couple said they've had this argument before with some of the "car clubs" and the VaSPD has sided with the stations. The only place that said they would pass it, I'm not sure I'd take any vehicles there to be worked on anyway. lol. Anyway, still playing with the idea. A couple of the stations said they wouldn't pass my truck anyway because I "have too many lights on the front". Interesting, because I've never had issues getting it inspected.

Last night I noticed my passenger side parking light out, so I tapped on the housing. The light came on, so I decided to make sure the bulb was seated in the socket. When I went to take the plug out of the housing, it literally started to fall apart in my hands. The plastic was just breaking apart. So I guess I'll order new plugs now. lol.

Here's the front of my truck:
View attachment 38141
As far as headlamps,
19VAC30-70-140. Headlamps; except motorcycles.
A. Inspect for and reject if:

1. Any motor vehicle is not equipped with at least two headlamps of an approved type. The headlamps must be marked with the headlamp manufacturer's name or trademark, and DOT.

If the headlamp bulbs are replaceable, the headlamp lens must be marked with the headlamp light source type (bulb) for which it was designed and the bulb must match the lens code. NOTE: If the headlamp system is stamped to accept halogen bulbs, then the replacement bulbs must be halogen as well. Retrofitting an HID or LED bulb to a halogen headlamp system does not conform to the standards set forth by the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) and shall be rejected. If the entire headlamp assembly is changed from a halogen system to an LED system and does not require the manufacture's original wiring to be cut or compromised, then it shall be considered for inspection if it meets the requirements of subdivision A 2 of this section.

2. Headlights are not of the same approved type (Halogen, HID, LED, etc.) except for sealed beam headlamps, or the replacement headlamp system does not contain all properly marked DOT and SAE stamps certifying that it has met and complied with the standards set forth by the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) 108. NOTE: Replacement headlamps stamped with a DOT or SAE approval shall be considered approved by the Superintendent of State Police and will not be required to be listed on the Virginia Motor Vehicle Approved Equipment List.

As far as extra lights facing forward
19VAC30-70-160. Auxiliary lamps: backup; cornering; driving; fog; spot and warning

D. No more than four lamps, including two headlamps, may be lighted at any time to provide general illumination ahead of the vehicle.

So the way that is written It looks like as long as Aux lights are on separate switches you can have them. so you can burn only two at a time W/headlights and not all on the same switch.
Call the area office in the safety section What they say goes not the inspector.
Plus everything inspectors fail you for must be in the manual. If it is not in the manual they can't do anything about it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
r98exp1