LED Headlights- Unexpected “negative”

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nobrainer

Reaction score
I noticed this too last week with the snow, I was always under the impression the LED lights generated more heat so they had to ventilate the housings (why we get condensation on the inside?). Maybe they are just ventilating it too much?

Plati

Reaction score

1alembic

Reaction score
Jeep LED headlights also ran into this problem. I think there are now some aftermarket jeep headlights with heater elements embedded in the lens/glass. But that doesn't help the Expedition......

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes there are heated LED headlights on the market. Snowplows use them at over $600 for the pair. We still run halogen on all our plows for the icing reason and cost and no reason to change to LED as ours are bright enough. BTW I hate LED head lights when they are not aimed properly coming at me....

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The stop lights here all get covered anytime we have a real windy snow. Its so stupid.

larryjb

Reaction score
I noticed this too last week with the snow, I was always under the impression the LED lights generated more heat so they had to ventilate the housings (why we get condensation on the inside?). Maybe they are just ventilating it too much?
Household LED bulbs that operate on 120V need to have a transformer to step the voltage down which produces heat. Yes, household LED do get hot, but there is less heat produced than the old incandescent bulbs.

Presumably, automotive lights are already operating at 12V so there is very little heat produced.

I'm finding that the extreme white coming from the additional blue in the spectrum of LED lighting is very tiring on my eyes. Young people love LED, but I'm now having to wear a blue cut filter at night. I really do notice a different in eye fatigue.