Led light question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cdahlen

Reaction score
Just replaced the map lights with led lights in my 11 expedition. Now they wont come on when pushed, but will come on with the knob on the dash and then i can push it on or off. Any thoughts/help. TYIA

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Try flipping the bulb. May be a polarity issue.
How do you go about getting to them? I was looking at the map lights lastnight and could not figure it out nor did I want to break anything.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Try flipping the bulb. May be a polarity issue.
How do you go about getting to them? I was looking at the map lights lastnight and could not figure it out nor did I want to break anything.

Vinyl prybar, just pry around gently

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just replaced the map lights with led lights in my 11 expedition. Now they wont come on when pushed, but will come on with the knob on the dash and then i can push it on or off. Any thoughts/help. TYIA

1) i think the slider in the rear trunk light is some kinda multifunction master control, try playing with that?
2) the dash control knob is a master dimmer... seems your choice of LEDs needs a minimum voltage setting to fire up

OP
OP
C

cdahlen

Reaction score
Thanks. Figured out the map lights & visor lights are on 2 circuits. 1 fuse for when doors open, another fuse when you push the light on. That was the problem, blown fuse. Lights working now, but have a very faint glow.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks. Figured out the map lights & visor lights are on 2 circuits. 1 fuse for when doors open, another fuse when you push the light on. That was the problem, blown fuse. Lights working now, but have a very faint glow.

Are your dash lights turned up or way down?

What brand did you use? The ones I put in the Expedition SSV and Gator L were, if anything, TOO damn bright (JDM Astar)... not blinding or anything and genius for finding dropped items and such, but gave people outside a well-lit preview of things in the trunk (stock tint Gator) or goings on in the front row (deeper tint Expy) at night

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Different LED chips perform very differently at lowered voltages... some flicker, some are dim as hell, some work great