LED light swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FtLaudBlkGT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I got my LED lights on Friday and quickly went to work. I am waiting for the correct puddle lights to come in and will have those swapped out soon.

I think the whole kit requires (5) t10 bulbs and (3) 578 bulbs w/9 SMD led lights. The floor lights consisted of using the bulbs that wouldn't work for the puddle lights, 31mm w/2 big SMD led lights.

a9cd3580.jpg

Added lighted floors to the dome light wiring.
a02152bf.jpg
70bb51a0.jpg

jjbusa

Full Access Members
Reaction score
what did you use for the floor lights and do you have a wiring write up

OP
OP
FtLaudBlkGT

FtLaudBlkGT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
what did you use for the floor lights and do you have a wiring write up

I used these lights for the floors, 1 on each side.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...item=&sspagename=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_3519wt_1014

I couldn't use them for the puddle lights because they seemed to draw too much for that application and wouldn't turn on. I tried my other 578 bulbs that had 9 tiny SMD led lights on the puddle light wiring and they turned on just dine, so I ordered a set of those in 31mm for that application.

Sorry I don't have pics for these steps, it was 12:30am when I did this.

Step 1: Used a soldering iron and melted the end caps off, and attached wire and chained one LED to the other giving about 4 feet of wire between them.

Step2: Attached them under the dash using 3m r/c-car style double stick tape and made sure no wires were visable.

Step3: Ran the lead wires up the driver's side piller, then across the ceiling to the over-head console and tapped into the dome light trigger so they only turn on when the dome lights are activated.

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
look cool. i want to neons and attach them to the dooms so when i turn them on they come on and also still have an extra switch so i can just have them on. haha my truck is going to be a tri sport i just know it. street, dirt, show. just like walnuts! im still confused on the leds. i think i kind of understand them, but idk.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea, I've been wanting to do that for a while. Just need to get off my lazy ass :p

Hmm, now that I think about it, I do have some spare LEDs (my old 2nd row ones). Maybe I'll just order some festoon holder and pop those in. Or, maybe go to the junkyard, get some more A/C gears and grab a couple bulb holders with covers (so they're not just exposed, waiting to be shorted).

When you say you hooked them to the dome light, do you mean the push/click ones in the overhead console? Do you have them wired to just turn on when all the lights turn on, or do you also have it hooked up to the "switched" part, so you can turn them on individually if you were to push/click one of the lights?

Maybe do it like some euro cars have it, and wire it to the door switch, do only the foot well that's being entered turns on?

OP
OP
FtLaudBlkGT

FtLaudBlkGT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yea, I've been wanting to do that for a while. Just need to get off my lazy ass :p

Hmm, now that I think about it, I do have some spare LEDs (my old 2nd row ones). Maybe I'll just order some festoon holder and pop those in. Or, maybe go to the junkyard, get some more A/C gears and grab a couple bulb holders with covers (so they're not just exposed, waiting to be shorted).

When you say you hooked them to the dome light, do you mean the push/click ones in the overhead console? Do you have them wired to just turn on when all the lights turn on, or do you also have it hooked up to the "switched" part, so you can turn them on individually if you were to push/click one of the lights?

Maybe do it like some euro cars have it, and wire it to the door switch, do only the foot well that's being entered turns on?

The dome lights have 2 power leads, one to turn on when you manually, and one that powers them when you open the doors or hit the dimmer dial. I have them wired to to only come on when the doors are opened, etc.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea, I figured it was the same deal as the 2nd row ones. Probably just have to tap into the positive lead of the actual bulb holder. That way, you get the switched functionality :)

OP
OP
FtLaudBlkGT

FtLaudBlkGT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yea, I figured it was the same deal as the 2nd row ones. Probably just have to tap into the positive lead of the actual bulb holder. That way, you get the switched functionality :)

I could have done that too, I figure if I want/need them to come on, I can hit the dimmer dial and force all the lights on.