LED Switchback bulbs in front turn signals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brubro

Reaction score
Hello Community!

Has anyone had luck using LED switchback bulbs in their front turn signals in the 3rd Gen Expys?

I did a full LED exchange on my 2017 Expy but cannot get the front switchbacks to operate correctly. I did research this prior to purchase and install, and did not find much about issues, so I assumed it must be viable.

After install and Forscan update (hyperflash off), the bulbs still exhibited hyperflash unless the running lights or headlights are on. A further search suggested that resistors may still be needed, so I installed them too. Same thing, hyperflash only when running lights or headlights are off.

The odd part is that with the truck off but accessory power on, the bulbs behave correctly. In this situation, all of the lights are off, ie, no running or headlights on. With the truck running, everything else being the same, I get hyperflash. Again, they operate normally with running lights or the headlights on, but not if all the lights are off. They only work correctly if the truck is off, the lights are off and accessory power is activated.

Everything shows correct in that Forscan module. Is there a solution to this or do I just get yellow LED turn signals? I find it very strange that it works correctly with the truck off, but not if it is running, but then again, I am not a Ford engineer.

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hello Community!

Has anyone had luck using LED switchback bulbs in their front turn signals in the 3rd Gen Expys?

I did a full LED exchange on my 2017 Expy but cannot get the front switchbacks to operate correctly. I did research this prior to purchase and install, and did not find much about issues, so I assumed it must be viable.

After install and Forscan update (hyperflash off), the bulbs still exhibited hyperflash unless the running lights or headlights are on. A further search suggested that resistors may still be needed, so I installed them too. Same thing, hyperflash only when running lights or headlights are off.

The odd part is that with the truck off but accessory power on, the bulbs behave correctly. In this situation, all of the lights are off, ie, no running or headlights on. With the truck running, everything else being the same, I get hyperflash. Again, they operate normally with running lights or the headlights on, but not if all the lights are off. They only work correctly if the truck is off, the lights are off and accessory power is activated.

Everything shows correct in that Forscan module. Is there a solution to this or do I just get yellow LED turn signals? I find it very strange that it works correctly with the truck off, but not if it is running, but then again, I am not a Ford engineer.
If you still have hyperflash after Forscan you did something wrong. Especially if it works with truck off and not on. You may have edited the wrong control module. Hope you’re not following g Forscan codes for f150s bc there’s a different one for expeditions. I’ve done every single light to LED and disabled hyperflash with Forscan and have never had an issue

OP
OP
Brubro

Brubro

Reaction score
You may have edited the wrong control module. Hope you’re not following Forscan codes for f150s bc there’s a different one for expeditions.

I downloaded the module list that stated it was for Expeditions. Can you put a link in for the one you used so I can compare? I am quite sure that it was done right, but I'll double check.

Thanks!

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I downloaded the module list that stated it was for Expeditions. Can you put a link in for the one you used so I can compare? I am quite sure that it was done right, but I'll double check.

Thanks!
I’ve since lost it, I’m sorry.

RogerD1959

2.5 Months Ltr, and Final Bill 22K+
Reaction score
Switch Back Front Turn Signals.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CN1NZ1R/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That is the link, for the ones, I put in the front of my 2016 expy., I ordered from Smile.Amazon.Com.

They cost 59.99 for a pair. They are super bright, have the anti hyper flash, error correction built in, so you don't need to fiddle with Forscan. I went through a lot of trial and error frustration converting my Expy over to LED.61RjXPrse3L._SX425_.jpg
You can try and find less expensive ones, and you probably will, I did. However, I learned cheaper ones may guarantee you have a sad, disappointing, frustrating, time consuming, costly, experience. Trust what I say, learn from my experience, don't make the same mistakes.

Reversing bulbs, again from, smile.amazon.com.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FYH2V4J/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
21UaRTVfKkL._SY90_.jpgThe can bus error correction is built in, no need to fiddle with Forscan. They are incredibly bright, make a huge difference in what the backup camera displays at night. $13.99 for a pair.

Rear Turn Signal Bulbs, again, from Smile.Amazon.Com.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HF8QSQB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
41qNAy1DM2L._SY90_.jpgThe can bus error correction is built in, no need to fiddle with forscan, $ 34.99 for a pair. The only issue, they don't just plug and play. Take the old bulb and socket from the taillight housing. Insert the new LED bulb into the taillight housing, make sure the LED chip, one on each side of the shaft beyond the heat sink and rubber "O" ring seal are postitioned horizontally. Looking at the taillight housing from the rear of the vehicle the chips are side by side, one chip on the left of the shaft, one on the other, right, side of the shaft horizontally orentated to the ground. (chip at 9:00 the other at 3:00 once the bulb is inside the taillamp housing). NOT STACKED, a chip on top, the other on the bottom, (chip at 12:00 the other at 6:00, top/bottom, once the bulb is inside the taillight housing.) The finned heat sink and pigtail connector will be protruding from the back of the taillight housing. Connect the pigtail into the socket that the old bulb was plugged into. Yes, means you will have to tuck the pigtail, old bulb socket, and excess wiring into the cavity that exists behind the taillight assembly. There is plenty of room, it all fits nicely with out any issues. I was a little concerned with the way the led bulb fits into the taillamp assembly in place of the old bulb and socket. It will not twist in, lock in place, like the old bulb socket, it just pushes into the hole, the rubber gasket snugs it all up. Ok, that left me concerned that the friction fit would cause the bulb to eventually wiggle out. It also was not all that water tight to me. (The bulbs are completely submersible), but I was worried about moisture seeping into the taillight housing causing beads of moisture to form on the inside of the red lens. Clear silicone sealant around the new bulbs rubber grommet once the bulb is installed in the lamp assembly fixes that. Remember, sealing the bulb to the taillamp housing, IE: Gluing it into the housing, is not as dumb as doing the same thing with a incandescent bulb. Those burn out, these don't, they should outlast the vehicle I have been told.

All of the aforementioned led bulbs are robust, very well made, with aluminum housings to help dissipate heat, and the aluminum construction gives the bulb a better, polished, high quality look. Finally the circuitry for each bulb eliminates hyper flash. and keeps them from causing can bus/OBDII error codes and bulb out error messages from showing up in the system or on the dash. I did not have to use those load balancers/resistors either. The bulbs for my first try at this did not have the advanced circuitry, and required the load balancers/resistors. I did not like how you had to wire them into the lamp circuit, plus they got disturbingly HOT! None of that inspired much confidence with me.

Headlamp bulbs I will try and address in a few days here. LED headlamp bulbs, good ones, are expensive! You have to pay very close attention as to how the LED chips are made, the number of chips, how they are positioned in the bulb assembly, flat versus round chips, do the chips have lenses over them or not, lumen output, color temp, wattage, etc. There is a lot you have to consider to make sure you get the correct bulb to suit your situation. The worst thing you can do is assume buying the whitest, highest wattage, bulbs are the way to go. That is the worst thing you could do, and the most incorrect way to go about buying them. I will get into all of that later on. Hope this helps you for now.

G213

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Thanks!

Check out this sheet; has a ton of good info. See lines 21 and 22 for the BCM entry you need to edit. Worked for me on my 2016.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...TKARDo2Y7lfSOMFj6Gott8g7yg/edit#gid=756156726

Also do yourself a favor and disable the double honk lol

Cyclone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thank you for posting this thread. I've begun to swap out Lights for LEDs on my Expedition. Mine has a BLACK cloth interior. It pretty much absorbed all incandescent light from the factory bulbs. Even with all the lights on, the fabric just soaked it up.

So I got some White LEDs and man, that really made a world of difference. The light reflects off the fabric and now I can see the floor and seats at night, where before they just faded into shadows.

I do want to eventually get the headlights replaced with LEDs, but I'm still unsure about which bulbs to get, so I'm biding my time reading this and that until I think I've found a winner. But I am going to get the reverse lights that you linked. For $14, I'm sure they will pay off immediately. Not sure if I want to spend $60 on front turn signal lights. But we will see. One day perhaps.

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thank you for posting this thread. I've begun to swap out Lights for LEDs on my Expedition. Mine has a BLACK cloth interior. It pretty much absorbed all incandescent light from the factory bulbs. Even with all the lights on, the fabric just soaked it up.

So I got some White LEDs and man, that really made a world of difference. The light reflects off the fabric and now I can see the floor and seats at night, where before they just faded into shadows.

I do want to eventually get the headlights replaced with LEDs, but I'm still unsure about which bulbs to get, so I'm biding my time reading this and that until I think I've found a winner. But I am going to get the reverse lights that you linked. For $14, I'm sure they will pay off immediately. Not sure if I want to spend $60 on front turn signal lights. But we will see. One day perhaps.
Diode dynamic SL1s. You won’t be disappointed

EDF7F60F-7B84-41BE-AC23-5518CF8CE65D.jpeg

OP
OP
Brubro

Brubro

Reaction score
Thanks all! I will try the suggested bulbs that have the chip preinstalled. I checked everything in Forscan and it is all correct. It should not hyperflash but does. This is the only issue I have with my full-led swap. Everything, including rear turn signals work, as do the headlights, high beams, etc. LOVE it all, especially the LED puddle lights (OK, wife even more than I; they really light everything up around the vehicle at night.

And, I also have the black interior. Agreed, the incandescent lights blow in a black vehicle.

Overall, I am a little miffed at Ford for not upgrading to LEDs, especially considering the cost of the vehicle. At that price range, most other vehicles are completely LED.