LED Turn Signals?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1111ExpyEL1111

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2012 Expedition EL. What is it I need to do to be able to use LED turn bulbs in my turn signals? I tried searching must must have been doing something wrong.

TIA for any help y'all can give!

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do you have the Limited? Apparently only the Limited has signals controlled by the BCM, the rest have a traditional flasher. You can reprogram the computer with FORScan and get them to work.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are you getting hyper, or double speed flash? You can also install load resistors on each line. Youtube has a lot of videos on this. Some bulbs allegedly have a resistor integrated into its base. I'm surprised to hear the Limited has a special BCM over other models incase you don't want to mess with Forescan.

I hope you were able to find a bulb that was as bright or ideally brighter than an incandescent once installed in the reflector housing. Or a bulb that have a noticeable difference between low output park mode and higher output flash mode. I went thru too many myself and was disappointed with results.

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
I have a 2012 Expedition EL. What is it I need to do to be able to use LED turn bulbs in my turn signals? I tried searching must must have been doing something wrong.

TIA for any help y'all can give!
JDM ASTAR extremely bright leds. Will either need a electronic flasher relay box or Forscan. I’ve got pics of you wanna see them

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
I like my acme switchback Leds. White for marker/ Amber for blinker
Drivers blinker is on in the pic.

I used forscan to disable hyperflash for the rears but needed load resistors for the front.

20170601_164249.jpg

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do you have the Limited? Apparently only the Limited has signals controlled by the BCM, the rest have a traditional flasher. You can reprogram the computer with FORScan and get them to work.

No all of the 3rd gens hyperflash on turn signal use (but NOT energency flashers, oddly enough) unless programmed via dealer/forscan

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I like my acme switchback Leds. White for marker/ Amber for blinker
Drivers blinker is on in the pic.

I used forscan to disable hyperflash for the rears but needed load resistors for the front.

View attachment 23846

Resistors on DRL/blinker switchbacks are a pretty bad idea... lots of meltable and burnable plastic in the area

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Resistors on DRL/blinker switchbacks are a pretty bad idea... lots of meltable and burnable plastic in the area
Well resisters need to be mounted to something metallic. If not they can't disperse heat the way they were designed. Mounting them to a surface that will not transfer heat is how load resistors melt!

Also why would it matter if its a switchback? There's no more plastic than a traditional led bkinker

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
expresspedition