Lets talk about the 3valve 5.4 cam phasers a bit..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ZombieSoldier

Full Access Members
Reaction score
when we bought ours it barely had an audible indication of it, but since October, and driving cross country and back, it is progressively getting louder, losing fuel mileage and power.. Yes I am **** about oil changes, and i use the ford recommended oil weight. So with that being said I have 3 possibilities to try to stop this issue

1. replace the cam phasers.
2. fix with a cam phaser limiter and SCT tuner (has to be tuned to limit the amount of advance and retarding)
3. fix with cam phaser eliminator and SCT tuner (has to be tuned to eliminate the automatic advance and retarding)

I want to know what you guys have done to fix the issue and how it is going for you..

also my father, who is an old school mechanic.. (he started doing professional mechanics back in '67 when he got back from Vietnam, told me before i do this, run a quart of ATF through the motor to clean out all the oil passages, thin out the gunk and such.... as ATF is a mild detergent.. just a thought.

Reaction score
I had my cam phazers replaced, they were noisey, but i never noticed any fuel mileage drop or performance issues, after they were fixed, still didnt notice any difference with MPG or performance, I had mine replaced under warranty, only cost me $100 out of pocket, the final bill was $2000.00,, so replace them yourself,and buy the tools needed or live with the noise,, but your MPG and power issues might be something else!

OP
OP
ZombieSoldier

ZombieSoldier

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well I called Livernois Motorsports. They told me their kit with tuner is a complete fix. So i might give it a shot

4.6 CALIBER

Reaction score
I have a little chatter from mine as well. I have been doing a fair bit of research regarding the issue and there is a video on youtube of a before and after of the Livernois cam phaser lock outs and it cures the chatter. I'm leaving mine until the sound gets worse. A friend of mine that has an F150 with over 100000 miles has had the chatter for ages.

OP
OP
ZombieSoldier

ZombieSoldier

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah I watched them already, that's why I am considering doing it, even though I will lose a little top end unless I decide to do cams, which I have been thinking about...,

Hobbes

Reaction score
5.4 cam phazers

I Just had the cam phazers replaced in my 07 5.4, limited Expy. 2,300.00 not to happy about this since the truck has 120,000 miles on it. That's no that may miles in my opinion. I did notice the diesel ticking sound before the repair, and some reduced fuel mileage along with the occasional blue smoke out the tail pipe when starting up. The tick I can live with, don't mind it on my 2011 F150 at all. Though this tells me that I'll be fixing that truck too.
The thing that "ticks" me off is that every motor head / mechanic I talk to about the 5.4 cam phazers say that it’s the most common problem with that engine. Enough so that you can find law suits on line dealing with the issue of a requested recall for the problem.
word to the wise.. when the phazer components go, your truck will drive like hell. my Wife wouldn't drive it to the grocery store, due to the stalling and extremely rough idle. if you know it's coming might want to get it repaired post haste. by the way if dealing with the dealership, let them know about the recall knowledge. This might give you some room to negotiate?

american steel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I replaced my 2011 navigator phasers no power gains no mpg gains. power is the same. FYI for all of you who read this cam phasers do nothing for power or torque. vct doesn't do much. my crown vic with a 6.2l swap in it makes less emissions than my navigator makes.
if you have the few tools do it your selves its not really hard just take your time and be careful. even when customers bring me their 5.0 coyote engines for their swaps I lock the phasers.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Junker