Limited Max SPP steering wheel hand sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gripnrip

Reaction score
Anyone know how to disable the hand sensor on steering wheel? I like the lane keep cruise just don’t like having to jerk the wheel every couple hundred yards. I know I have seen it done in other later vehicles. Can it be done here?

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you don't have a Platinum 22+, you DON'T have Handsfree! PERIOD. If you are saying it isn't sensing your hands actually on the wheel, there is no sensor. It senses resistance. Use one hand instead of 2, and you will do better.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think he means the lane centering. The lane centering is half way from bluecruise as it keeps the vehicle centered in the lane without any input. I saw a video where a guy used a small weight attached to the wheel to keep lane centering from needing hand contact. It also guided his truck through gradual turns.

mwar99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think he means the lane centering. The lane centering is half way from bluecruise as it keeps the vehicle centered in the lane without any input. I saw a video where a guy used a small weight attached to the wheel to keep lane centering from needing hand contact. It also guided his truck through gradual turns.
But it’s not meant to be hands free so owners should not be doing this.

Sabalo

Reaction score
This is an embarrassing flaw. I use adaptive cruise and lane centering and 2 hands on the wheel. Having the car tell me to hold on to the wheel, when I am, is ridiculous. Making me shake the wheel before it turns the cruise off is dangerous. Cannot believe Ford lawyers allow this potentially liable stupidity.

BSarchet

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I feel like my truck has learned over the 18 months I’ve driven it. At first the lane keep used to fight me a lot and also give me the warning about hands on the wheel (when I was always fully engaged and driving). My hands used to get tired from having to push back on it. But now I find it to be almost unnoticeable and I rarely get the alerts. I feel like I read that maybe there’s a calibration period or something. But mine is certainly better than when new.

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't condone hands free when your vehicle does not have it. But Ford's resistance-based system sucks. I get I have leather steering wheel, but they could have a combination of resistance and thermal sensors to detect my hand is actually on it.
I have a few straight roads and my wheels are well aligned. Even with BOTH hands on the wheel if there is no "input" the system will still warn you in normal "lade departure" mode.
If you activate the cruse-control, the way ford tries to ensure you're paying attention is pre-programmed to "drift right". It's a few degrees of right turn, just enough that it seems to "pull you" into the line, but as @dlcorbett mentioned, the weight on the left side of the wheel (or water bottle) count balances the drift. Until the wheel tries to turn left, then you will oversteer.
In my book this lane guidance goes down as a solution to a problem that shouldn't exist. If you're a decent half paying attention driver, why do you need the car to "guide" you in the lane? The only time I've ever seen it be "useful" is when a driver IS NOT paying attention or to enable them to check their phone or something. #ManualTransmissionsReduceTextingAndDriving.

Zelf24

Reaction score
I don't condone hands free when your vehicle does not have it. But Ford's resistance-based system sucks. I get I have leather steering wheel, but they could have a combination of resistance and thermal sensors to detect my hand is actually on it.
I have a few straight roads and my wheels are well aligned. Even with BOTH hands on the wheel if there is no "input" the system will still warn you in normal "lade departure" mode.
If you activate the cruse-control, the way ford tries to ensure you're paying attention is pre-programmed to "drift right". It's a few degrees of right turn, just enough that it seems to "pull you" into the line, but as @dlcorbett mentioned, the weight on the left side of the wheel (or water bottle) count balances the drift. Until the wheel tries to turn left, then you will oversteer.
In my book this lane guidance goes down as a solution to a problem that shouldn't exist. If you're a decent half paying attention driver, why do you need the car to "guide" you in the lane? The only time I've ever seen it be "useful" is when a driver IS NOT paying attention or to enable them to check their phone or something. #ManualTransmissionsReduceTextingAndDriving.
I second this with the tendency to accidentally and easily "oversteer" to counter the gradual drifting to the right. We have a Mazda 6 Grand Touring and the Mazda lane-keep is so much better done than Ford's. With the Expedition, I will hold my hand steady on the steering wheel, then as it begins to "drift" to the right, the steering will be so loosey goosey that my correction to the left comes across as too heavy handed, and my passengers will feel the steering "jerk" and ask what happened? The Mazda steering correction has a stiffer feel, and you can correct in the other direction without your passengers thinking that you are suddenly dodging wild animals or potholes...

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Tbf, the mazda 6 is one of the best handling family cars with probably the best steering feel in the sedan world, so it's not really a fair comparison compared to a large fs suv. I do like how my wife's cx9 lane assist is more of a gradual assist, but its a lot more sensitive than my navs.