Looking at buying, 2nd row question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
But if the top of the bench seat fold-down it would be fairly easy for smaller kids to climb right through. it's interesting to see how different people like different options but for me I always want to have the option of adding an extra person. I will sacrifice a little bit of In-N-Out convenience for the extra capacity spot.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My buddy just dumped his Suburban with rear bench for another one with rear buckets. He said he absolutely hated it because the kids crawled over the 2nd row bench seat because they couldn't fit through and then their dirty shoes always kicked the ceiling and the headliner was stained from all the shoe marks.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My buddy just dumped his Suburban with rear bench for another one with rear buckets. He said he absolutely hated it because the kids crawled over the 2nd row bench seat because they couldn't fit through and then their dirty shoes always kicked the ceiling and the headliner was stained from all the shoe marks.
This is exactly why I only buy black interior. No scuff are black marks ever show and it looks better when it's older. I also can't stand the fact that all second-generation Navigators had the same beige colored headliner. This is ridiculous! A vehicle with no other beige anywhere on it with black leather interior and black outside has a beige tan color headliner and side pieces halfway down. Absolutely ridiculous. They could have at least been silver or gray to match the silver Dash. You should never have light-colored Headliners. I don't even like the gray ones. At least make them charcoal if not black. It doesn't affect the temperature of the car at all the color of the headliner. The color of the carpet and seats can but the headliner does not. Dark or black Headliners will look excellent in 10 to 15 years unless you touch them and make them fall down but light color ones even the typical gray will always have stains and marks. They don't make anything right in my opinion. But the newer Navigators 3rd generation and above did have black headliners.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hate dark interiors, no thanks too hot. Love my camel interior headliner and all. Nice and cool. Keep the black, more heat for you.

FE88F7C4-B283-44B2-A451-029D7403D9B6.jpeg

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Black seats can make it hotter if you don't have good window tint but the headliner has nothing to do with it.
Two identical vehicles sitting in same lot in sun one with tan interior and tan headliner and one with tan interior with black headliner would be the same it you touch the headliner or air temp in car.
It only absorbs heat rays when they can get to it and the headliner is not a place they can get to.
I can USE a vehicle indiscriminately work or play dirty pants etc with black interior and you can't even tell. When ready to sell it, a wet washcloth is all I need to wipe down the seat.
ANY other color except maybe dark charcoal (which I hate because it is trying to be black but just not there yet) will require extensive cleaning and usually will never clean as well as the other seats.
Black nets me higher satisfaction and higher resale value.
I like the look of some two tones but won't get due to soiling.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I went black interior too because I hate washing the tan leathers in my other cars.
I hate the black for the heat, but I live in WI, so summer is only a couple months. Its worth it for the longevity and appearance does the road.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is exactly why I only buy black interior. No scuff are black marks ever show and it looks better when it's older. I also can't stand the fact that all second-generation Navigators had the same beige colored headliner. This is ridiculous! A vehicle with no other beige anywhere on it with black leather interior and black outside has a beige tan color headliner and side pieces halfway down. Absolutely ridiculous. They could have at least been silver or gray to match the silver Dash. You should never have light-colored Headliners. I don't even like the gray ones. At least make them charcoal if not black. It doesn't affect the temperature of the car at all the color of the headliner. The color of the carpet and seats can but the headliner does not. Dark or black Headliners will look excellent in 10 to 15 years unless you touch them and make them fall down but light color ones even the typical gray will always have stains and marks. They don't make anything right in my opinion. But the newer Navigators 3rd generation and above did have black headliners.

Perfect example of “to each their own”...one of the strong “pluses” of the platinum trim for me was the light colored headliner, and yes I have the black interior. I prefer the light headliner as it makes the cabin feel larger.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Perfect example of “to each their own”...one of the strong “pluses” of the platinum trim for me was the light colored headliner, and yes I have the black interior. I prefer the light headliner as it makes the cabin feel larger.
It can definitely do that but I don't have an issue with how I cabin feels. Often when vehicles have moon roofs it is too low and I hit my head on the roof so it's not a matter of feeling it's a matter of actual inside dimensions so I don't care what color it is other than keeping it clean. I think they do it because you can create a more appealing contrast of colors. Many people would be irritated if the entire vehicle inside were black. That's how I want vehicles to be all black except the contrasting colors on the dash either wood grain or whatever. I don't like the silver because it doesn't tend to hold up as well. I have plastic wood grain on cars 20 years old and it looks perfectly new but the silver on the Fords always fades and wears off and gets dirty.
All of my decisions are based on ease of maintenance, durability, or other necessities that help me make money, or make me more money when I sell the vehicle. I pretty much throw personal preference out the window.
Most of my vehicles are used for business purposes. So in this case you have to have black cars and SUVs but for the stretches you basically need all white. You can pull off silver but if you're on you're only going to have one color of a stretch limo your best bet overall by far is to make it white.
You basically have to have black or very dark charcoal or you can pull off silver for Sedan Service an SUV but you definitely want black interior so you won't have to replace the seat upholstery.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
All of my decisions are based on ease of maintenance, durability, or other necessities that help me make money, or make me more money when I sell the vehicle. I pretty much throw personal preference out the window.
Man, that is an austere way to go through life. Have a little fun, get what you like...live a little!!!

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Man, that is an austere way to go through life. Have a little fun, get what you like...live a little!!!
It's just the most cost-effective for me so that makes me happy. It's not like I'm sacrificing. When I bought a classic 79 Corvette a few years back it was bright red and just happen to have black leather interior. That would have been my choice anyways. I also appreciate bright red leather interiors but those are harder to find. They also hold it pretty well. I am just so sick of Manufacturers putting light Grays and tans and even these bisque and off-white colors in everything. Just because it looks good when you buy it doesn't mean it will look good in 3 years. I don't want all the upkeep of trying to make it look good. I get black or dark colors and I don't have to worry about it. It looks great.
This is the opposite on some of my work vehicles that need to be black for Livery purposes. Black is the hardest color to take care of and to keep clean. Why it is much much easier so with stretch limos all white works out great since it's the easiest color. For personal cars I probably would go with bright red as opposed to black. I also like blue. But most of my vehicles are work-related and I make money with him so that's what's more important.