Loss of power, no code.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Jon, so you blew both head gaskets? Now you gotta figure out why!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
JonFrancis76

JonFrancis76

Reaction score
No... Timing chain tensioner seals (I should've said seals).
When the seals break, the oil drains back to the pan causing lower oil pressure. That's why the cam failure.

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
No... Timing chain tensioner seals (I should've said seals).
When the seals break, the oil drains back to the pan causing lower oil pressure. That's why the cam failure.
Pretty much what you expect to see when the timing set breaks down. At least you know for sure what the cause was

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So if no oil pressure, that's not good. You might be looking at a reman motor. But best to strip it down to it's skivvies. It's gonna need a full inspection, and measurements. Loss of oil usually means burned crank journals, cylinder walls scorched, etc. But it only takes a few hours after you yanked motor to find out if it's $ wise to save. Let us know.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No Moose, the "seals" that blew only direct oil ...with failed gaskets(not seals)the oil doesn't get forced to where it's needed and only dribbles back down through the drain holes.....so the entire engine has not been run in a "no oil" condition, just one part of it.

jeff

OP
OP
JonFrancis76

JonFrancis76

Reaction score
Yep... think low oil pressure, not no oil pressure.
Apparently a common problem on these trucks. I found all metal Melling tensioners that have no seals to fail. That coupled with the high volume oil pump will hopefully be a permanent fix.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Educate me guys.......as I read Jon's original post, I was thinking clogged CC....or bad/failing cam position or crank position sensors.....

So why was I apparently on the wrong track? Is this a common symptom for this type pf failure?

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While I wouldn’t call this a “common” occurrence it has effected a portion of these vehicles. Timing Belt/Chain tensioner gasket failure is something that occurs throughout many manufacturers engines unfortunately. As far as why they don’t use solid metal, I’m not sure. Normally the first symptom of this occuring is timing chain clatter on startup due to the tensioner relaxing when the engine is off because of the leaky seals, not always but often. What we see here is well......the final symptom. Good news is it is a repairable condition.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I remember Habbibie had that problem among others on his 05 motor. What a mess in the timing area on the 3 valvers. Stock Ford cam advancers and the gaskets too fail? Wow!