Loud Turbo Whistle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KnoxExpy

Reaction score
Looong time Expedition owner (still driving my 2004 with 300k+ miles), but recently picked up a used 2020 Max Limited, LOVE the vehicle... but, im new to the EcoBoost V6 with turbos. Everytime I accelerate, even light RPM, the Turbo whistles like a big rig. Its pretty loud, and even louder with the window down. Is this normal for this engine, or should I bring it in? Heres a video clip, let me know what you think! Thank you!!

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score

lv2drive

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i was! what’s this about removing the rings? i’m all about that if it doesn’t create any issues / void my extended ?

me love some more whistle!

lv2drive

Full Access Members
Reaction score
follow up: i 2nd the post about it sounding like a v8. that does not sound anything like my bubbly v6 eb does. & i can’t hear any whine whatsoever. is that all stock? weird

Michman7

Reaction score
I have heard the whistle in my 20 Max lots. I thought like you did that it was an issue or leaking at some point but it’s normal. I even threw a Ford mechanic friend of mine in the passenger seat and let him listen and he was so stoked we could it that prominently. So it’s all normal after awhile you won’t even notice it.

Marc Palmer

Reaction score
Depending on the type of air filter, you might hear more turbo spool up. Same thing happens to my other turbo toys with a K&N.