LOW profile rooftop rack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That is nice mounting set up. Have you tried the wind screen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lugnut

Reaction score
Maybe I’m looking in the wrong spots...but I haven’t found a wind fairing for the LockNLoad. They claim that it’s built into the leading edge (there’s a small piece of plastic jutting down), but that’s it. I’m not sure anyone would make a fairing tall enough for this application, but I’m always open to modding

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don’t know if this would work. I have the Rhino one and it helps with the wind noise from driving. It does nothing for the crosswind. Luckily my awning stopped that noise.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I finally go around to installing the Lock N Load platform with the Skytower Feet. Naturally Yakima requires the purchase of additional hardware, their Landing Pad...because profit. The landing pads bolt into the interior of the OEM side rails (you just pop those little plastic torx caps off). The Skytower feet then lock into the Landing Pads super easily though, so it is definitely a well thought out product. It raises the height significantly from my stealth cross bar mount, which I was hoping would lessen wind noise, but more importantly I was hoping it would allow me to more easily be able to swap from the Platform to my Ski Box. It basically doubles the space between the bottom of the platform and the roof, so where as I used to have about 3.75" between the roof and the platform, now there is about 7". The top of the platform sits about 8'5" above the roof line (about 6" above the top of the OEM side rails now). This would make it much easier to clean out snow build up from underneath the platform.

However - the wind noise makes this unusable on a daily driver. Above 84mph there is a cavitation hum that sounds exactly like you have wandered onto the highway shoulder, and are driving on the rumble strips. This vibration sound does not go away if you accelerate, like some things that will settle down once you get above or below that magic resonance zone. The previous mounting solution, on my Rhino Rack Bars, did not have any noise like this, even up to 100mph.

So....it sounds like I will now be modding the Yakima U bolt's so that they can easily fit under the Rhino Rack bars when they are installed (the Yakima U bolts are so thick that you cant fit them in-between the roof and the bar, you have to install them with the bar not secured to the roof)....the quest continues.

View attachment 38071

View attachment 38072
I ran a similar setup for a while, Yakima rack, skyline mounts, and HD bars. While very functional it was atrociously loud and far too tall. I recently returned it for a full refund, yay REI. All this to say I feel your pain and hope you find a solution.

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The Yakima has had reviews of it being louder due to the platforms slats going left to right across the vehicle vs the Rhino slats running front to back of the vehicle. The lowest I have had mine was directly clamped to the factory crossbars. My set up is working well. Noise isn’t to bad and it is a little tall for my liking but it makes the awning tall enough I can walk under it without hitting my head. I’m 6’2”, that’s pretty nice. Sucks you guys don’t like it. I have solar panels two tool boxes, shovel and my Maxtraxs on top for my last trip. It was nice and not to loud at freeway speeds.

Lugnut

Reaction score
So the loud humming noise was actually the factory wind deflector lip slapping back and forth. Turns out it is held in with a full length pressure clip, and I guess it was just a little too weak along the Driver's side area and would vibrate back and forth. I just removed it altogether, and solved the problem. Of course, the standard wind noise issue was still there, but I am able to just easily pop it on/off with the Skytower Feet.

Jaime M

Reaction score
FYI...I inquired with Frontrunner about their racks. At first they said I needed a custom setup that they could offer me, but turns out they are making a vehicle specific kit that should be out Spring 2021.

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just an FYI for you roof rack owners now this thread popped back up. I have had some terrible wind noise, rattling and clunking going on. I tightened everything up the best I could thinking something was loose on the rack or it’s mounts. Nothing seemed to help. Took the solar panels off since they where fairly new. Still nothing. I did the silicone lube trick around the back glass of the roof. Almost all the noise is gone. Crazy the moon roof can make that much extra noise and a little lube fixes it.