LT verus P tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

txracer16

Reaction score
You’d be fine with non E tires. The P tires these size ranges are not car tires. Comparing the two Cooper examples you listed, the AT3 AS is rated at 2800lbs at 50psi and the LTX is 3000lbs @ 80psi. Not a huge difference. The rear axle weight loaded even with your trailer is not going to be close to 5600lbs capacity of the AS tires. The LTX is 10lbs heavier than the AS and is much stiffer. What this is going to give you is a much harsher ride and higher NVH. Now, how noticeable is hard to say as every tire is different. What I can say is I have never liked the ride and feel of load range E tires on anything less than 3/4 ton truck. And I usually like a firmer ride, but heavier/stiffer tires is not same feel as spring/shock combinations. I find with the heavier/stiffer tires the suspension is more chattery over bumps because the shocks are not valved from the factory to carry the heavier weight of the load E tire. Now with all this, going with E tires won’t hurt anything, this is all just feel and is completely up to you. I’ve just dealt with a lot of customers that complain after installing load E tires on vehicles that didn’t come with them from factory. All depends on what you like and how your using your vehicle. If it’s a daily driver and almost never leaves paved or groomed roads then I wouldnt risk the sacrifice in ride quality personally. Now if it usually had a heavy trailer hooked to it and went off road then maybe I’d go with a heavier tire. Hope this helps.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Please don't take this wrong but only a fool installs P-rated tires on a vehicle of this weight.

You'll save money but when it counts the most, odds are, you'll pay with your life.
Sorry, but you are just stating a personal preference or opinion.
As the article someone was nice enough to post below even states as long as you choose. Tires that are more than enough for the weight of the vehicle. That is all that's important here.
At least as far as safety goes. Some have noted that a lot of LT tires have deeper tread and they very well may last longer if they are equivalent compounds of rubber. That could be another personal preference to choose them over a p Rated Tire. I personally like the nice Square block look that many LT tires have. Now, I don't like the all terrain tread on cars that see a lot of miles or Highway use because I like a highway tread for smoothness, quietness and better wear but often these still have a nicer blockier look.
The simple fact is that most people for an SUV will haul far less weight than someone might with a pickup truck but the average correct size tire that is designed to fit on the vehicle when you multiply the load capacity times 4 most everyone will have a nice cushion room above what you're ever going to load the vehicle too.
Now I can remember when I was a kid we took a half ton pickup truck from Ohio to Tennessee actually riding to Georgia to buy watermelons. My dad loaded that truck so full he had to add extra air into the tires because they were squatting so much. I'm quite certain it was an unsafe load and also unsafe amount of weight on the tires but he made it and I can remember him doing it two or three years in a row. I don't think he ever had a blowout.
Tires are also like many other things like rope and tow chains and straps Etc. They will actually handle more than the numbers printed on them but for legal purposes everyone has to cover their butt.
Then you have to factor in age which can make something fell far below the printed numbers.
But I like to stick to facts like the actual numbers on the tire x4 and the weight of the vehicle. You can find articles from all kinds of authority sources that try to sway things all different directions.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
One other thing that you forgot to mention Toby, is when you patch or plug a tire, it drops it down a speed rating. A 149 mph V rated tire drops to 130 mph H rated. Load carrying also diminishes. A manufacturer like Ford would have put on light truck tires, if they thought the passenger ones would fail, and lawyers get involved. If you stay within the weight parameters that they state in their owners books, and sales brochures, all should be fine. That said, theirs nothing wrong with overkill. It's like with me, I've ridden some of the fastest and biggest motorcycles ever made, and it doesn't scare me. Another individual wouldn't ever even throw a leg over a Honda 50cc bike. Everyone's different, some are safety minded all the way. Others will wear a set of tires down, till the steel belts are showing, then ride on them till they blow. It's what makes this world and forum interesting.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

CertusExpo

Customizing trucks since I was 7 with my Legos
Reaction score
Sorry, but you are just stating a personal preference or opinion.
As the article someone was nice enough to post below even states as long as you choose. Tires that are more than enough for the weight of the vehicle. That is all that's important here.
At least as far as safety goes. Some have noted that a lot of LT tires have deeper tread and they very well may last longer if they are equivalent compounds of rubber. That could be another personal preference to choose them over a p Rated Tire. I personally like the nice Square block look that many LT tires have. Now, I don't like the all terrain tread on cars that see a lot of miles or Highway use because I like a highway tread for smoothness, quietness and better wear but often these still have a nicer blockier look.
The simple fact is that most people for an SUV will haul far less weight than someone might with a pickup truck but the average correct size tire that is designed to fit on the vehicle when you multiply the load capacity times 4 most everyone will have a nice cushion room above what you're ever going to load the vehicle too.
Now I can remember when I was a kid we took a half ton pickup truck from Ohio to Tennessee actually riding to Georgia to buy watermelons. My dad loaded that truck so full he had to add extra air into the tires because they were squatting so much. I'm quite certain it was an unsafe load and also unsafe amount of weight on the tires but he made it and I can remember him doing it two or three years in a row. I don't think he ever had a blowout.
Tires are also like many other things like rope and tow chains and straps Etc. They will actually handle more than the numbers printed on them but for legal purposes everyone has to cover their butt.
Then you have to factor in age which can make something fell far below the printed numbers.
But I like to stick to facts like the actual numbers on the tire x4 and the weight of the vehicle. You can find articles from all kinds of authority sources that try to sway things all different directions.

No, in a p perfect world yes but the world isn't perfect and in a specific situation such as an evasive maneuver to avoid an accident that sidewall on the P Tire will fold and can lead to increased likelihood of lost control or even roll over. When s*** hits the fan and the moment of truth is upon you whether you're alone or your entire family is onboard with you, you'll be glad you had the 10 Plies. I can tell you this from personal experience. Me and mine, are worth the extra expense and the slight loss of comfort.

Last edited:

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do cars not do evasive maneuvers and does the sh** never hit the fan when driving a car?
Or are you implying you can't get 10 ply E tires in the car size?
Or are you just saying for trucks or suvs that tow? But if a car has a hitch and can't Get 10 ply tires.... Quite a conundrum.
If weight rating is well above typical load then there is zero industry recommended reason to have higher load rated tires.
You personally may feel better with more cushion or overkill but where do you stop? Why not install some 22.5s with load of 6175 lbs at 110psi? Or just stop at what's conveniently available.
Big cause of tire failures is under inflation. If people would keep enough air in them they would have fewer problems.

CertusExpo

Reaction score
So, resorting to comparing apples to oranges.... Mkay.

Different GVWR, center of gravity, loads, handling. Cars are Non Applicable in the conversion.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just checking. So you are ok with standard load car tires on cars that they come from the factory with but on trucks and suvs (higher center of grav etc) you want a tire that is higher load than what came from the factory for extra safety for yourself and family.
Would't by that logic you want an "improved" tire on a car over what came with it?

Don't see why same idea wouldn't carry through or like I said.....not readily available for cars. Truck tires are readily available in D and E load ranges so it is easy to choose to buy better.

It makes you feel better so you should do it. Just don't try to preach to anyone and tell them that there IS ANY REASON the anyone needs to buy any tire over what the manufacturer and the DOT says is appropriate for the vehicle. Anything above that is opinion and personal preference.....not a fact, need, etc.

On the car note though....you COULD buy higher speed rated tires as most passenger ones are low rating. This would give you better margin of safety or is that not needed because you don't exceed the speed rating of the tires on the car?? In that case...I bet you don't exceed the load rating on the standard truck tires either so it is apples to apples...or actually tire load to tire load.

Last edited:

CertusExpo

Reaction score
Again, apples and oranges BUT it also depends on the car.
A high end car will come with very nice rubber while an entry level Hyundai will come with cheap tires, shocks, seats, etc.

Your points are moot.

The LT will be far superior to the P rated tire, period.

There's ALWAYS a ying/yang, action/reaction. That's life. An engine can be modified to put pot extreme horsepower but the reaction is reduced life, higher cost of maintenance.

What goes through your head when you see passenger white walls on a truck? I've seen them on Rangers. My thought... Cheap bastard.

Last edited: