Lug nut insanity

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Plati

Reaction score
They are nice and solid and triple chrome plated. The have the 60 degree angle on the bottom to match the factory alloy wheels.
Triple chrome? My first job out of high school was hand chrome plating small parts. First you copper plate. Can polish after that if needed. Then you nickel plate. That gives it the shiny nickel color. Then the final plating is chrome, which is kind of a dull grey without the nickel. We used to thick chrome plate parts for machine shops if they needed to build a dimension back up because they overdid it. Chromium by itself is just grey.

I had a Suzuki TS250K Savage. Cadmium plated anything metal I could remove from the bike. I think Cadmium is illegal now (heavy metals).

Steve Owens

Reaction score
Go with McGuard. They are solid chrome / stainless. Clean and lubricate the studs. Last lug nuts you will every buy. Have had the same set on my last three Expeditions, change them out when I trade. Still looking good. Easy to remove and finish doesn't flake off.

Plati

Reaction score
I bought the Gorilla solid steel chrome plated lug nuts & started installing them. $105 for 24 pieces, no tax or shipping. They look great (so far so good) and IMHO an improvement over OEM. Picture at the end, showing one OEM nut I removed is already splitting ... several others look like they're starting to rust inside and have dings from previous wheel shops. Nice improvement.

I chose not to apply any lubrication after reading up on it, such as this article --> http://www.tirereview.com/its-really-all-about-lug-nuts/

I'm just taking one off and replacing them one at a time. Torque by hand / feel ... which might not be the best but so be it. I just lean into it about a foot from nut on breaker bar with 2/3 of my weight so about 160 ft-lb.

I found that my year (2014) Expy is M14x2, 60 degree, OEM is 13/16" hex (** see later posts **) BUT the Gorilla replacements are 21MM so I had to buy a heavy duty 21MM 1/2" drive 6 point socket and will keep that as well as a quality breaker bar in my tire change tools from now on. Hope the tire shops can figure this out also and I may post a sign on the wheel when I have tires rotated.

After I ordered these I found other Gorilla nuts that say STAINLESS STEEL and are advertised as solid one piece so I contacted Gorilla and was informed thats not correct. Those are SS capped just like the OEM - dont want that! Nobody makes one piece solid stainless steel because it would not have the strength in the threads like hardened steel. I bought the best ones I could locate and possibly best on the market. Guy from Gorilla said chrome will rust (most know that) so keep them clean with soap and a brush to prevent rust.

The OEM are about 3/4" threaded from the conical end, remainder has no threads and is thinner walled. Not sure why. The Gorilla are full diameter threaded metal all the way inside.
IMG_0223.JPG

Last edited:

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bought the Gorilla solid steel chrome plated lug nuts & started installing them. $105 for 24 pieces, no tax or shipping. They look great (so far so good) and IMHO an improvement over OEM. Picture at the end, showing one OEM nut I removed is already splitting ... several others look like they're starting to rust inside and have dings from previous wheel shops. Nice improvement.

I chose not to apply any lubrication after reading up on it, such as this article --> http://www.tirereview.com/its-really-all-about-lug-nuts/

I'm just taking one off and replacing them one at a time. Torque by hand / feel ... which might not be the best but so be it.

I found that my year (2014) Expy is M14x2, 60 degree, OEM is 13/16" hex BUT the Gorilla replacements are 21MM so I had to buy a heavy duty 21MM 1/2" drive 6 point socket and will keep that as well as a quality breaker bar in my tire change tools from now on. Hope the tire shops can figure this out also and I may post a sign on the wheel when I have tires rotated.

After I ordered these I found other Gorilla nuts that say STAINLESS STEEL and are advertised as solid one piece so I contacted Gorilla and was informed thats not correct. Those are SS capped just like the OEM - dont want that! Nobody makes one piece solid stainless steel because it would not have the strength in the threads like hardened steel. I bought the best ones I could locate and possibly best on the market. Guy from Gorilla said chrome will rust (most know that) so keep them clean with soap and a brush to prevent rust.

The OEM are about 3/4" threaded from the conical end, remainder has no threads and is thinner walled. Not sure why. The Gorilla are full diameter threaded metal all the way inside.
View attachment 25947

In that case, shoulda saved 70 bucks and got the Venum wheel lock set

Btw, the OEMs are metric, maybe thats why y'all keep messing them up so fast (not that they aint flimsy shit, cuz they are)

Again, for people who dont wanna venture into the realms of blowtorches and sawzalls:

OEM LUGNUTS ARE MEANT FOR **DEEP** **METRIC** SOCKETS.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In that case, shoulda saved 70 bucks and got the Venum wheel lock set

Btw, the OEMs are metric, maybe thats why y'all keep messing them up so fast (not that they aint flimsy shit, cuz they are)

Again, for people who dont wanna venture into the realms of blowtorches and sawzalls:

OEM LUGNUTS ARE MEANT FOR **DEEP** **METRIC** SOCKETS.

Unfortunately after the chrome cap swells and splits on the OEM nuts the metric socket won’t fit over it correctly.

Plati

Reaction score
Unfortunately after the chrome cap swells and splits on the OEM nuts the metric socket won’t fit over it correctly.
I think that's the explanation. That and the (OEM) "cap part" gets squeezed/deformed making 13/16" socket a better fit for OEM after a few tire changes. Lets put it this way ... 4 year old OEM lugs nuts, 13/16" deep socket slides on and seems about right. That same SK socket will NOT slide on the Gorilla and I HAVE to use a 21MM.

Using a micrometer ... the 4 year old OEM lug nuts read about .819" and the Gorilla read about .823". Thats just enough difference that my SK 13/16" socket wont fit on the Gorilla. I dont think my OEM nuts are swollen, I think they shrunk.

I think I can use the stock tire change lug wrench on my Gorilla nuts ... but I'm not sure I'd want to use it on older OEM nuts?