Lug nut insanity

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No it's not considering you pay $5 or $6 each for the crappy ones from the dealer. These are $4.38 each which includes free shipping if you are a Prime member.

Mine are <$1 a piece w/ 10% off sale, wheel locks, and didn't even suffer any finish issues from getting impacted on

Considering the shittiness of OEM, i don't think the "pricey = quality" expectation works anymore

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
you’ve not lived until you’ve purchased lug nuts for the 22 inch F150 Harley Davidson / Limited wheels. 6L3Z1120BA Is the part number. MSRP runs about $26 each.

These are the only lug nuts that allow the unique domed center cap to be attached.

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
you’ve not lived until you’ve purchased lug nuts for the 22 inch F150 Harley Davidson / Limited wheels. 6L3Z1120BA Is the part number. MSRP runs about $26 each.

These are the only lug nuts that allow the unique domed center cap to be attached.
Thank you for saying that. I'm actually looking at some Harley limited wheels local and the guy doesn't have the lug nuts with them. Sounds like I should beat him up on price a little

BlueStangGT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just went through this on my 125k mile 07 Expy. The correct socket size is 13/16 and I had to hammer my socket on about half of them due to swelling. There were two lugs that were swollen so much I had to move up to a 7/8 socket and still had to hammer them a little bit. I had to use a 3’ breaker on about half a dozen lugs... used Dorman OE style lugs for replacements.

Edit - calling the 13/16 “correct” is inaccurate on my part, it just turns out that it worked for my situation on lug nuts that were destined for the trash can anyway. It did, however, fit the Dormans perfectly.

Last edited:

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just went through this on my 125k mile 07 Expy. The correct socket size is 13/16 and I had to hammer my socket on about half of them due to swelling. There were two lugs that were swollen so much I had to move up to a 7/8 socket and still had to hammer them a little bit. I had to use a 3’ breaker on about half a dozen lugs... used Dorman OE style lugs for replacements.

Uhm, they're so fooked BECAUSE you've been using SAE sockets.

Fords are 100% metric. NOTHING original on your truck uses inch sockets

briandye

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I picked up my 2008 about 2 months ago, ordered a lift/level kit for it about a week ago.

Went to start installing yesterday, never done one before, I was a little intimidated.

Come to find out, getting the f*cking wheels off would be the hardest part! My passenger front wheels lugs were torqued to what I would assume would be 1,000,000 ft/lbs. I made the mistake of using the 13/16(?) socket to try to get them off. Jumping on my 24” breaker bar. (I’m 260lbs) broke 3 loose while mangling the stupid caps, one cap game right off leaving the bare lug, and I had to pry and rip the other two caps off and hammer a 19mm on to get them off.

After leaving for a hardware store trip for a few large impact sockets, I found that the 21mm deep impact fit PERFECT on the rest of them.

I ordered Dorman replacements, they’re nearly identical to mine, Advance and Autozone only stock ONE pack of them, they come in 4. We need 24. So I bought the one pack at Advance, and Autozone for about $13 each, and then ordered the same 4-pack (4 of them) on Amazon for like $8 a piece.

BlueStangGT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Uhm, they're so fooked BECAUSE you've been using SAE sockets.

Fords are 100% metric. NOTHING original on your truck uses inch sockets
Really, not even the spark plugs? lol

Thanks for jumping to conclusions, this is the first time I’ve ever put a wrench on ‘em but I’ll definitely be having a conversation with the tire / brake / alignment shop I’ve been using for the past 10 years. The old ones were pretty beat up and all of them were swollen to some degree but 13/16 did the trick and fit the replacement Dormans perfectly.

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Really, not even the spark plugs? lol

Thanks for jumping to conclusions, this is the first time I’ve ever put a wrench on ‘em but I’ll definitely be having a conversation with the tire / brake / alignment shop I’ve been using for the past 10 years. The old ones were pretty beat up and all of them were swollen to some degree but 13/16 did the trick and fit the replacement Dormans perfectly.
13/16 always fit the best on my oem lug nut and the plugs are absolutely 9/16

BlueStangGT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I picked up my 2008 about 2 months ago, ordered a lift/level kit for it about a week ago.

Went to start installing yesterday, never done one before, I was a little intimidated.

Come to find out, getting the f*cking wheels off would be the hardest part! My passenger front wheels lugs were torqued to what I would assume would be 1,000,000 ft/lbs. I made the mistake of using the 13/16(?) socket to try to get them off. Jumping on my 24” breaker bar. (I’m 260lbs) broke 3 loose while mangling the stupid caps, one cap game right off leaving the bare lug, and I had to pry and rip the other two caps off and hammer a 19mm on to get them off.

After leaving for a hardware store trip for a few large impact sockets, I found that the 21mm deep impact fit PERFECT on the rest of them.

I ordered Dorman replacements, they’re nearly identical to mine, Advance and Autozone only stock ONE pack of them, they come in 4. We need 24. So I bought the one pack at Advance, and Autozone for about $13 each, and then ordered the same 4-pack (4 of them) on Amazon for like $8 a piece.
What was the difference in fitment on your Dormans between the 13/16 and 21mm?

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
13/16 is 20.63mm... if it's forced on and/or not all the way on and an impact is applied to it, it wouldn't be helping an already fragile lug nut design