Lug nut snapped on the stud! Any ideas?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

briandye

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Havent caught a break with this damn truck when it’s come to wheels.

Half the lug nuts spun with that stupid cap when I attempted to put my lift on. Got it on, and bought two (4) packs of replacement lugs because that’s all they ad in stock at the time. No biggie, only like 6 were mangled.

Ordered the rest, but never got around to putting them on, because the rest of the lugs worked just fine without issue.

Ordered new wheels. Sit at Belle Tire for an hour and a half for them to tell me they can’t get any lugs off. They’re spinning. (As in the ****** cap Ford thought was a good idea)

Firestone (who mounted my new tires back when I put them on after installing the lift) over torqued my lugs so bad it’s not even funny.

I drive home, breakout my tools get 2 of them replaced, then come to one that’s not budging. Grab my breaker bar, SNAP. Broken stud? Nope. The lug itself broke. Now there’s a lug holding the wheel on yet no possible way for any socket to grab. How the hell can I get that off?!

I’ll post a picture as soon as I get on my computer in a bit.

Don Hall

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Enough material to weld another lug?

If the stud spins, so would a weld lug....

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

briandye

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Im beyond words pissed off. Can't recall last time I was this angry at something. I don't even know what I should do.

Heres the picture of the broken nut:
nV95ivA.jpg

I tried to just move onto a different wheel, went to the front driver. Impact wouldnt budge a single one. Breaker bar....SNAP. Thinking another nut broke, I don't even know what happened. The lugnut just spins freely in either direction. Snapped stud? Wouldn't it just fall off then? This won't pull out. Maybe the lug snapped again but the lip of the stupid chrome cap is holding it on the broken nut.

What the hell do I even do for the remaining 20-something lugs!?

Plati

Reaction score
Wow ... sorry for you. Thats nuts.

Good news is you can still drive it?

If it was me, I'd cry uncle and hope there is a qualified dealer or machine shop that can handle this. We have a lot of machine shops in my area and some specialize in automotive. This HAS to be something dealers have seen?

Slight chance a hammered on bolt extractor would work .....

buy these too ...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZSDGVGG?tag=viglink23361-20

Last edited:

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Couple of things come to mind. First is how to keep from damaging the wheel.

Is yours 2wd or 4wd?

Look from the back side of the front hub, is there access to the wheel studs at any point?

Last edited:

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are you using a properly fitting deep impact socket in the right size??

PS i'd probably drill out the stud a bit, piloting it in several steps of bit size, then see if i couldnt get a screw extractor to bite the lug nut remnants

THEN --- id buy decent lug nuts.

Drae

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had my wheels balanced on my 2010 by a local tire shop and he had a hard time removing the driver's side wheels. He also had to use a breaker bar to remove wheel nuts he thought were over torqued. After removal, we saw on the wheel studs where the wheel nuts were getting so hot they were practically welding themselves onto the studs. I had never taken these wheels off since purchasing the truck last Thanksgiving. I have the same issue with my wife's 03 after I have to remove the wheels for something over time. They are very hard to get off when I know I torqued them to 110lbs. I'm 230lbs and have to stand and bounce on the breaker bar to break them loose so I know something is happening over time. I bought new one piece wheel nuts to replace the oem wheel nuts on my truck but I'm putting Ford wheels on my wife's soon that require closed wheel nuts and purchasing a second set for mines. Sometimes I feel like Ford is trying to push me away from my vehicles but I know there's no better options out there. There's always going to be something with any vehicle.