Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So I went ahead and ordered plugs and boots and I have them standing by. I just took the vehicle out for a ride yesterday and it's running smooth as butter, so I'm gonn wait to change them until I expierence some sign of wear or age on the current plugs. Coils were $58 each for motorcraft, so I'm going to wait for a code to think about that replacement.
@LokiWolf has posted many times that the eco boost engines are very hard on spark plugs and you should actually change spark plugs earlier than what is recommended.

You can do a search (search box top right of page) of his content with the keyword spark plugs
To see this information.

OP
OP
D

discguy77

Reaction score
@LokiWolf has posted many times that the eco boost engines are very hard on spark plugs and you should actually change spark plugs earlier than what is recommended.

You can do a search (search box top right of page) of his content with the keyword spark plugs
To see this information.
There is some very good information. For this time around I have motorcraft plugs (live and learn), but for future use I will do the NGK as reccomended in a couple other posts. Thanks for all the help.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There is some very good information. For this time around I have motorcraft plugs (live and learn), but for future use I will do the NGK as reccomended in a couple other posts. Thanks for all the help.

NGK makes the Motorcraft plugs. Either will work with proper gap and heat range.

GaryH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Honestly, I see far more issues with plugs mentioned, frequently sourced to the the plug gaps opening up. I see comparatively fewer complaints about the coils. And when there is an issue, it's usually intermittent, or reproducible under certain circumstances, like high load. I've never seen anyone say a plug or coil failed and rendered the vehicle undriveable. The failure is usually progressive and generates misfire codes. Plus, there's six coils and plugs so it can get pricey to replace them all. But knowing the most common source of certain fails is helpful in resolving an issue if it does arise.
I had 3 separate incidents, miles and years apart, where a coil went bad and made the vehicle run poorly. There first two times I replaced the single bad coil, but when the 3rd went bad I had all the coils and plugs changed at around 90k. Yes, it was pricey. 8 coils and plugs for around $600 IIRC.

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Rock auto sent their newsletter out and it was promoting NGK coils. Didn’t know they made them. Just tossing that out there.