Major changes should be made.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blackscreen67

Born to spool
Reaction score
So after having logged 500 miles on this limited 4x4 302a with CCD and 22s and tow pack I find myself wishing there were some serious improvements to basic components.

Most importantly and yet basic of all things Ford over looked would have to be the brakes. Plain and simple the brakes are significantly undersized, and can barely slow the vehicle on the drop without coast through and brake drag. I wouldn't tow 5klbs let alone 9k lbs with this thing. Simply too dangerous being Ford neglected basic safety features. This will result in me upgrading pads and rotors to a better design that'll actually do the job.

The suspension needs alot of work. Handling wise there too much body roll for an electronically controlled system. There's very little in terms of stability adjust and planting of the vehicle. The only real setting that provides some sense of handling ability is the sport mode which creates a harsher tire bounce aswell. The other settings are the equivalent of a car with the handling of a waterbed. Not even to mention The tread design and 22" rim combo leave you on the hunts for flat concrete to not feel I like a wind up set of choppers.

The steering is another big pet peeve of mine. It's way too artificial, and potentially enables too easy over compensation of the wheel in circumstances.
To much reliance of electronics rather than driver.

As far as I'm concerned it's a nice car yes, but Ford place significantly too much emphasis on finishes such as interior/ exteriors which are the ticket driving items and yet cut corners in the basic needs of safety and structure.

Gas milege for in city driving in horrific averaging around 12.5 aswell which is inexcusable for a twin turbo v6. Only thing that explains this is crap factory tuning, which is exactly what it is.

Over all it gets a 6 out of 10 in my book, and frankly having owned a 2015 AWD Durango RT with the 8sp..... the Durango exceeds all the above and out performs on every level, yet just lacks some interior room and couple bells and whistles.

It's frankly embarrassing that Durango was loaded out at $51k with a 380hp non boosted V8 and averaged 13mpgs in city driving with not much less weight, handled better, and drove smoother with non electronic steering and 20s.

The Durango is rated to tow 6-9k without added towing enhancements, and the Expedition is only designed for 5-6k, and the towing enhancements aren't making any load bearing changes. That tells you alot on the OEM suspension being underbuilt from Ford.

Last edited:

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I can agree with some points.

I wouldn't say the brakes are weak but more the brake modulation is a bit 2 soft. Once you get hlf way through the travel it stops well, but it takes effort. I think this has to do with the pre collision cuz when the system is alert and pre charges the brakes, it stops on the dime with no travel at all. I think i myself would prefer that feel more.

The think my expy with the reg dampers n 20s rides well, not great and almost as well as a durango. As with all vehicles ive driven, theres a suspension bandwidth from its best to its worse. At best its fantastic and i wish i could lock it that way, at worst its jiggly, annoying and tiring at times. I tested a ccd expy and nav and found them vastly superior to any durango setup ive driven. Even mines is better than most cars. In all, its not a leap forward in what the last model provided, esp my 09 nav(still one of the smoothest suv rides ive exp).

Handling when pushed is great, but daily handling is slightly cumbersome. It does lean and you feel the weight transition but no more so than i expected. I do wish if it was gonna lean so much relatively, that its suspension would be softer as well. Steering is a bit slow as well and very numb but accurate. Sport mode steering is great though. Problem with that is the over eager and aggressive tranny. I dont have the ride penalty with the change for obvious reasons, but the base suspension already feels like the ccd sport setting anyway. If anything, it rides better in sport mode but that may just be my brain correlating the roughness together with expectation of sport being rough.

Love the interior except for some infotainment omissions.

I liked your review. I feel like though they didnt rush it out, they relied to heavily in what was established by their pick ups and not enough of what made the last expy so good. Also, i feel they ran out of money for drive components and spent what they could on the ccd development until they could make a new better setup, but didnt tune it to handle the increased size/lighter weight. However, this is nothing new. Every new gen of expy is never complete until its 2nd or 3rd year out when ford finishes tuning everything out. The 03 expy was critically panned and did not meet expectations, but 04+ expys have some of the highest vehicle ratings in its class. Same goes for the 07 expy. Though the expy is newer, its a bit unfair to compare a unibody essentially european wagon (based on the previous gen ml350) to a bof truck almost 20% larger in size. If the refresh doesnt happen by time my lease ends, ima go Arties route and spend my money on the more complete expy...a navigator reserve.

Last edited:

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Also, im more than happy with its gas mileage. Mines is 2wd so that may take into effect, but i religiously get 24+ on the hwy now. In town, 16ish is pretty good. If i use the instant fuel meter and baby it, i can get 17+.

Patsfan4lif

Reaction score
Tr
So after having logged 500 miles on this limited 4x4 302a with CCD and 22s and tow pack I find myself wishing there were some serious improvements to basic components.

Most importantly and yet basic of all things Ford over looked would have to be the brakes. Plain and simple the brakes are significantly undersized, and can barely slow the vehicle on the drop without coast through and brake drag. I wouldn't tow 5klbs let alone 9k lbs with this thing. Simply too dangerous being Ford neglected basic safety features. This will result in me upgrading pads and rotors to a better design that'll actually do the job.

The suspension needs alot of work. Handling wise there too much body roll for an electronically controlled system. There's very little in terms of stability adjust and planting of the vehicle. The only real setting that provides some sense of handling ability is the sport mode which creates a harsher tire bounce aswell. The other settings are the equivalent of a car with the handling of a waterbed. Not even to mention The tread design and 22" rim combo leave you on the hunts for flat concrete to not feel I like a wind up set of choppers.

The steering is another big pet peeve of mine. It's way too artificial, and potentially enables too easy over compensation of the wheel in circumstances.

As far as I'm concerned it's a nice car yes, but Ford place significantly too much emphasis on finishes such as interior/ exteriors which are the ticket driving items and yet cut corners in the basic needs of safety and structure.

Gas milege for in city driving in horrific averaging around 12.5 aswell which is inexcusable for a twin turbo v6. Only thing that explains this is crap factory tuning, which is exactly what it is.

Over all it gets a 6 out of 10 in my book, and frankly having owned a 2015 AWD Durango RT with the 8sp..... the Durango exceeds all the above and out performs on every level, yet just lacks some interior room and couple bells and whistles.

It's frankly embarrassing that Durango was loaded out at $51k with a 380hp non boosted V8 and averaged 13mpgs in city driving with not much less weight, handled better, and drove smoother with non electronic steering and 20s.

The Durango is rated to tow 6-9k without added towing enhancements, and the Expedition is only designed for 5-6k, and the towing enhancements aren't making any load bearing changes. That tells you alot on the OEM suspension being underbuilt from Ford.

Trade it in for a Chevy if your not happy

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Would you say the car was built for women? Ford has an internal memo stating that women are the "decision-makers" in 77% of new car purchases. Thus the dial gear selector, powered liftgate and adjustable pedals.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score

I’m kinda with JSki...I mean...PatsFan on this one...

if you are so “meh” on the vehicle, why’d you spend $70k-$80k on it? Go buy a GL, or a QX, or the Navi, or another Durango, or a Rover, or one of the GM triplets, or a minivan, or an E63 wagon, or whatever. I mean, I’m sure Ford appreciates your cash, but it sounds like you’d have been happier with, well, really almost anything else.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think these are his opinions on missed opportunities and failed expectations, but its his wifes truck though and shes made that clear to him goin off what hes said in the past lol. I thought this forum was for expys and navis lol.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Idk how you managed to get that kinda gas mileage, I’ve towed a few thousand pounds and got stuck in an hour and a half of bumper to bumper traffic and still got better mileage than 12.5. I can’t comment on your other issues as I have the Lincoln and haven’t experienced any brake or suspension issues.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would you say the car was built for women? Ford has an internal memo stating that women are the "decision-makers" in 77% of new car purchases. Thus the dial gear selector, powered liftgate and adjustable pedals.

This is partially true, perhaps this is why pickups still retain solid axles, V8, body on frame, etc. where the customer is more concerned with practically and longevity over gadgets etc. The Super Duty completely defies the trends even set on HD pickups, solid front axle, V8 only, high off the ground, super stiff front coils/shocks, etc yet it is the best selling and longest lasting pickup on the road. This is backed up by multiple studies and sources. Dodge and GM with their Independent front suspension in HD trucks are sorry suckers.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Blackscreen67

Blackscreen67

Born to spool
Reaction score

Yes, many dealer have been on the hunt for replicating the explosives success of the QX since 2012. That was a major demographics indicator for the market segment that the companies have attempted to hone in on.

I’m kinda with JSki...I mean...PatsFan on this one...

if you are so “meh” on the vehicle, why’d you spend $70k-$80k on it? Go buy a GL, or a QX, or the Navi, or another Durango, or a Rover, or one of the GM triplets, or a minivan, or an E63 wagon, or whatever. I mean, I’m sure Ford appreciates your cash, but it sounds like you’d have been happier with, well, really almost anything else.

I hate Mercedes and Infiniti. GM would be better versed as a ******* jack box give away toy based on materials and quality of fitment. We originally had deposit on Navigator Reserve 4x4, but she fell in love with the Expedition stone interior and layout. We owned a Land Rover and those are time bombs. Had a Wrangler Rubicon Hard Rock and selling that with 2k on the clock was the best choice ever. The Durango AWD RT was great but I trashed the factory 8sp in 26k miles and didn't have the 2 months of patience to wait for Chyrsler to warranty it. The E71 X6M we like for multiple reasons, but it's traditional European interiors are pretty vanilla when it comes to excitement. You buy European for design a performance, that's it!

The things I list are not complaints, rather major areas where focus should've been given.

I think these are his opinions on missed opportunities and failed expectations, but its his wifes truck though and shes made that clear to him goin off what hes said in the past lol. I thought this forum was for expys and navis lol.

Yep, I know my role. She is happy and that'
s what matters. She drives less than 800-1k miles a month, so the finishes of the vehicle are what her focus is.

Idk how you managed to get that kinda gas mileage, I’ve towed a few thousand pounds and got stuck in an hour and a half of bumper to bumper traffic and still got better mileage than 12.5. I can’t comment on your other issues as I have the Lincoln and haven’t experienced any brake or suspension issues.

Not really even a clue, I'm guessing it's driving in 4A all the time.