Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

grdsman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah they are all good. Checked them out. But im only getting 15in vacuum from the brake booster line that the iwe pulls from. Should be 20. Im going to take everything off that im comfortable with to see if it's loose. Or cracked. If yall have a diagram of this operation that would be awesome. It's right up against the firewall and looks to be a pain.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Did you take the line off after the solenoid, where it begins its trip down to the IWEs and test it from there with just a hand pump tester? (with the engine off). This will test the actual IWEs and whether they are holding. Your description sounds like you are testing the actual vacuum being generated by the vacuum pump on the engine.

Mike

OP
OP
D

David Stevenson

Reaction score
Yes I hooked the hand pump directly to the hub. It held vacuum. I am thinking that maybe the booster line is loose on the manifold and causing the lower than normal vacuum.

OP
OP
D

David Stevenson

Reaction score
I get the new lines tomorrow. Also I didn't think about it but the boots around the check valve and solenoid are pretty worn out so it might just be those. Or the boots that go over the hub. Could've been that my vacuum fit better haha. Fingers crossed. I appreciate everyone's input.

OP
OP
D

David Stevenson

Reaction score
Just an fyi at idle 15 to 17 is a normal vacuum at high elevation from the brake booster line. Im at 6500 ft. One of the techs here informed me.

OP
OP
D

David Stevenson

Reaction score
So just got my new iwe vacuum tubes harness but the noise has completely gone away.... for now. My question is, say there is a connection issue (electrical short) to the solenoid would the solenoid lose vacuum?

OP
OP
D

David Stevenson

Reaction score
Update. I installed a new motorcraft check valve and the grinding went away.... for a whole. As soon as the temp dropped I noticed it again but not near as much. Has anyone tried putting a second check valve in the hose assemble coming from the brake booster. Or could this cause problems?

grdsman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Update. I installed a new motorcraft check valve and the grinding went away.... for a whole. As soon as the temp dropped I noticed it again but not near as much. Has anyone tried putting a second check valve in the hose assemble coming from the brake booster. Or could this cause problems?

Yep, I did that on an F-150 as a fail safe. It won’t cause any problems. If it persists, it’s not the valve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D

David Stevenson

Reaction score
Okay lol. Back to it. Started doing it again
New solenoid, new check valve, new lines. Did a drive test with the guage hooked directly to the iwe vacuum and no loss of vacuum while driving or under load. The IWE at the hub held vacuum while parked. No way to check it while driving and I don't want to mess up my new harness. Could the iwes lose vacuum while driving intermittently or will it always be leaking? Bc the hand pump showed no leak anywhere. It's definitely the actuators cause it goes away as soon as I put it in 4wd. Looks like a fairly easy job and I've already replaced everything. Just want to get a little advisement.

aagitch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Okay lol. Back to it. Started doing it again
New solenoid, new check valve, new lines. Did a drive test with the guage hooked directly to the iwe vacuum and no loss of vacuum while driving or under load. The IWE at the hub held vacuum while parked. No way to check it while driving and I don't want to mess up my new harness. Could the iwes lose vacuum while driving intermittently or will it always be leaking? Bc the hand pump showed no leak anywhere. It's definitely the actuators cause it goes away as soon as I put it in 4wd. Looks like a fairly easy job and I've already replaced everything. Just want to get a little advisement.

I may have overlooked it in this thread but have you replaced the IWE's? That seems like the only other thing it could be.

OP
OP
D

David Stevenson

Reaction score
I have not. I haven't yet because it held vacuum during the hand pump test. Held 20lb of vacuum for 20 min. But I guess going over bumps or under load it randomly loses its seal. Going to hopefully get them done this weekend.