Mileage upgrade for 17 XLT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steve Hartman

Reaction score
How can I boost my mileage?

Don't laugh, but I saw a gizmo on Facebook that said it would increase mileage after plugging it in to your OBD2 port. It only cost $19.95.

Went to Ebay and found the same device for $5 if I bought from China. LOL! It's called ECO OBD2. And quoting John Popeil, the huckster from about three decades ago, "And it really, really, works!"

I'm getting about 2 MPG more than I used to, and I don't notice any difference in performance.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Remember the "Turbonator" The jagged toothed piece of sheet metal that was supposed to be mounted above the carbs?

They claim that even in FI engines, the "swirl" created at the Air intake will carry all the way into the combustion chamber.................

You should get a 10% increase if the Jeep they used as an example got a 41%increase<LMAO>!!

jeff

Did they not make the FLOWBIE????

HawkX66

Semper Fi!
Reaction score
I drive an SLK350 and my 17 Expedition to work. 133 miles one way. The SLK gets up to 27 MPG and the gets up to 20. The big difference between the two is the Benz takes super and I run regular in the Expy. Some quick arithmetic shows a $3 to $6 difference over 300 miles. I would never run super to gain only a possible mpg or two. The cost benefit just doesn't add up. A whopping $4.09 in this scenario.

upload_2019-6-24_10-44-32.png

Boose

2017 Platinum EL
Reaction score
I drive an SLK350 and my 17 Expedition to work. 133 miles one way. The SLK gets up to 27 MPG and the gets up to 20. The big difference between the two is the Benz takes super and I run regular in the Expy. Some quick arithmetic shows a $3 to $6 difference over 300 miles. I would never run super to gain only a possible mpg or two. The cost benefit just doesn't add up. A whopping $4.09 in this scenario.

View attachment 30735

It's not just the economy... the Ecoboost is a different animal with Premium. The economy is nice, but the power is just as nice when I have to get on her.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not just the economy... the Ecoboost is a different animal with Premium. The economy is nice, but the power is just as nice when I have to get on her.

I’ve heard the same thing with the 5.0, that it’s like a totally different engine on premium or E-85 fuels. Must be the newer dual timing systems.

Last edited:

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’ve heard the same thing with the 5.0, that it’s like a totally different engine on premium or E-85 fuels. Must be the newer dual timing systems.

E85 has higher resistance to detonation and so can run with increased compression, boost, or timing. However, it also has less energy content, so mpg is reduced substantially. Federal manufacturers were getting a credit for making E85 compatible engines, but it never really made sense to use it unless you were in an area where it was dirt cheap. Here's a test from Edmunds claiming a 25% hit to mpg using E85 vs gas.

https://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy/e85-vs-gasoline-comparison-test.html

Boose

2017 Platinum EL
Reaction score
The knock sensors are very sensitive. The timing as well as the realized boost are adjusted based on the octane. Not sure if the waste gate is used...? There is an audible increase in the turbo's when I get on it with Premium Vs. Regular.
I'm sure the 5.0's are similar with regards to the timing.

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The knock sensors are very sensitive. The timing as well as the realized boost are adjusted based on the octane. Not sure if the waste gate is used...? There is an audible increase in the turbo's when I get on it with Premium Vs. Regular.
I'm sure the 5.0's are similar with regards to the timing.
I believe that sound you hear is due to the computer self tuning ability to increase certain ECU parameters when higher octane fuel is sensed. Aka more boost is made so you hear the whistle a little more. Take those stupid air silencers out of the intake tubing and you’ll hear them even a little more

Boose

2017 Platinum EL
Reaction score
I believe that sound you hear is due to the computer self tuning ability to increase certain ECU parameters when higher octane fuel is sensed. Aka more boost is made so you hear the whistle a little more. Take those stupid air silencers out of the intake tubing and you’ll hear them even a little more

Agreed, the ECU is definitely allowing more boost, just not sure how :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dcleghorn01