Mileage upgrade for 17 XLT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So, they knew you had an Expedition when you said "I want a catch can for my Expedition"

Why is it wrong to say that on the phone?
I didn’t say anything about a phone? I’m lost at what ur getting at here man

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Without pictures this post is worthless. And my guess if you went to them in person they knew you had an expedition. There is no way the new F-150 bracket will work. Does your ears attached to the battery tray for the firewall? Photo below of new F150 battery box bracket, which is clearly way to tall for hood to close. But idk they may have revised it, and made it shorter since I ordered mine a couple months or so back.

Sent from my garage using Tapatalk
8924fa94b029616a4b3c121efd72fdea.jpg
Thts because you ordered the 2015-2019 f150 can that apparently attaches to the battery box and is not specific to expedition. In case you are unaware, 15-17 Expeditions share the same pets as 11–14 f150s. This is what you need to attach to the screw on the firewall bc the new style attaches to bolts on the box holding the battery for f150s
18385ADD-D999-4454-A301-7D79F11FBD63.jpeg EB22A638-2224-4CA0-8F7C-6BC2B0479F33.jpeg

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Without pictures this post is worthless. And my guess if you went to them in person they knew you had an expedition. There is no way the new F-150 bracket will work. Does your ears attached to the battery tray for the firewall? Photo below of new F150 battery box bracket, which is clearly way to tall for hood to close. But idk they may have revised it, and made it shorter since I ordered mine a couple months or so back.

Sent from my garage using Tapatalk
8924fa94b029616a4b3c121efd72fdea.jpg
Don’t know if we have attachment points next to our batteries for this style. Which means you will probably have to return the whole thing because it looks like the hoses are different lengths also. If you have a 15-17 you need to order a catch can for 11-14 f150 with the smaller bracket that goes on firewall

OP
OP
M

miket961

Reaction score
Thanks for all the ideas and info here. I started this post because I was getting 18.9 on the highway during a 400 mile trip. I was driving above 75.

Based on suggestions here, I kept it below 75. Also added 91 octane gas. In the end, I was getting 22.3. Very happy with that but don’t mind squeezing more out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Langer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Got mine 2 years ago and looks NOTHING like that. Sorry but not sure what part you have there

They changed the location from firewall to on top of the battery tray.

Last edited:

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
FWIW, someone might get something from this:
I own a supercharged car, turbo bike and truck.....My '17 expy has 18.3 mileage since the day I drove off the lot 2.5 yrs ago. Typically my tanks today (67K)return around 19.2 or so if I'm not nuts on the pedal.

My SLK was returning 18mpg as well driving 65-75MPH, 50 miles to work. When I slowed to a MAX 60mph & letting the CC select the acceleration(boy was that hard), I got 29.5mpg

My turbo bike...has never been measured for mileage because face it...I LOVE going full bore so who gGAF what the mileage is<lol>!

My truck....nope never forced myself to do the "60 MAX/& letting the CC select the acceleration" test.....but I pretty sure your mileage will extent into the 20's if you have the patience to do it. I drive 46 miles twice a day and I think if I was to slow down a bit, it's close enough to get into the 20's.....but I don't pay for gas so I don't.

jeff

Boose

2017 Platinum EL
Reaction score
Thanks for all the ideas and info here. I started this post because I was getting 18.9 on the highway during a 400 mile trip. I was driving above 75.

Based on suggestions here, I kept it below 75. Also added 91 octane gas. In the end, I was getting 22.3. Very happy with that but don’t mind squeezing more out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keep it below 75 and use cruise control as often as possible... The ECM seems to not have the same enthusiasm for feeling the turbos like my right foot does :)

I get 23-24 highway in my 19 F150 3.5 with the 10 spd in eco mode & cruise control. My 17 4x4 Expedition EL will get 22-23. I run premium in both and realized a significant increase in mileage over regular.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Surprised no one has mentioned tire pressure. Along with that, rate of acceleration, and speed will be the primary determinants of MPG. Because aero on this vehicle is so bad, even a few mph can make a big difference on the highway. Also, a tune can also extract more power from less fuel and may improve mpg if you can keep your feet out of the pedal, at the risk of voiding your warranty.

If you're dropping thousands on a truck and gas for it, the little 10 - 15% you save by driving differently isn't going to make much of a difference. My next daily driver is a used EV, to offset the gas we pump into the Expedition.

Joedirtyshirt

Reaction score
MY SON drove me crazy going 55 mph on Int. 95 getting 24mpg to N.C. I fixed it at 80mph with 18 mpg, I figure it's my truck my gas Love the ride but 6,000 lbs needs to speed and put some plugs in it change filter and enjoy the ride, after leaving the Taurus wagon at 24 mpg not much of a sacrifice 8 people got sound and room to stretch out, I'll give the 6 mpg away any day, by the wat I paid for it and rode 3rd row to N.C. between 2 car seats and was never uncomfotable