Mobile wifi for trip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MKMc

Reaction score
I have a few 12 hour drives coming up with a six year old and a teenager. Does anyone have any reasonably priced suggestions to get streaming in the truck for the trip? It would make it MUCH less stressful - thanks - Mike

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Tablets with as much memory as you can stuff in them. Download VLC Media player and what they want to watch beforehand. This allows them to watch what they want outside of coverage areas. Use free wifi when ever you stop for internet related stuff.

OP
OP
M

MKMc

Reaction score
Good info - thank you. Ipads loaded, but what I'm looking for is a dedicated unlimited data hotspot for a reasonable monthly fee ($50). Does that exist, because I can't find it in my net research.

As to running it through my phone, that won't work as my phone is through my employer on a shared data plan, so no go on that route.

Mike

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good info - thank you. Ipads loaded, but what I'm looking for is a dedicated unlimited data hotspot for a reasonable monthly fee ($50). Does that exist, because I can't find it in my net research.

As to running it through my phone, that won't work as my phone is through my employer on a shared data plan, so no go on that route.

Mike
Your connection to the internet from your car will have to be via cellular, then distributed from your phone or internet-connected tablet/pad as a Wi-Fi hotspot, unless you think you can hopscotch from one unsecure Wi-Fi node to another as you drive (not gonna happen).

Maybe you can find someone on the road going the same direction with an open Wi-Fi hotspot and just "butt-in" on his plan.

About all you can do is pick a cellular provider, pay for their unlimited plan and use your "New" phone or tablet as the WiFi source.

crector080862

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That would be my suggestion call your cellular provider I'm sure they have unlimited data plans for your phone that will allow you to use your hotspot

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Your big challenge would be consistent cellular service on your highways. When we drive around here in the eastern suburbs, our calls are dropped every three minutes.