MPG when towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Savannah Dan

Reaction score
I pull a 26' 6.5K pound boat on a dual axle trailer on flat ground at 70-80 mph and get 9mpg with a 5 Star 89 octane Performance/Tow tune.
I get 12mpg pulling a loaded 5x12 single axle enclosed trailer to my house in the country. 2/3s of the distance on interstate and 1/3 on country highways. I drive between 60 and 85. Same trip, same tune, same speeds, no trailer, I get 20.2mpg.

Michael McC

Reaction score
Just got back from 1,200 mile round trip with 2-horse trailer. I was very pleased to see the trip computer report 7.9 mpg overall. I have 3.73 gears, a 2" lift, and run 87 octane, and do the speed limit, commonly 75, mostly on open roads with no cars or trucks breaking the wind for me. Happy to pay for the fuel when I can go up grades steep enough to have a truck lane, doing 75 with two horses behind me, and not have to shift down from 6th. I tow in manual and shift when needed.