Muh dead 98 Expedition 5.4L EB

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matthew M Davis

Reaction score
I've owned it about 3 months. It has 199k miles, a dubious maintenance history for at least the prior year, but some newer-looking parts like serpentine belt, some hoses and connectors. It has a ripped muffler and some leaks in the exhaust before that, but after the Y. Yesterday, I drove it out of my driveway, turned on the AC, got to about 50mph, heard a loud squeal, and before I put on the brakes it lost power.

Here's what I know and have so far -
- oil light/gauge flickered on, then off. There was never evidence of a knock, and this was a few days ago. Ass-umed the windshield leak was affecting a sender/sensor
- windshield leak is not yet resolved (obviously)
- now that it's dead, I checked the oil, absolutely none on dipstick. Someone should recommend checking the oil BEFORE it dies!!!!!!!!
- found an 02 sensor on the front passenger side hanging free, the front driver side looks nice and rusty, too
- 1+ quart of oil came out, relatively clean, frkm oil pan and filter.
- oil change was about 3,000 miles ago, the filter is new
- no click, metallic noise, buzz, or any other sound when trying to start. I get precisely 1 attempted turn, then nothing.

Not sure where to start after I get a new filter and some oil in it.

OP
OP
M

Matthew M Davis

Reaction score
Verified, thanks for the response! Although, I was hoping for rainbow-happy-unicorn "turn this knob and ****** it works!"

Now, how about my odds on getting around the minimum post requirements to list it for parts on this forum? Bahaha