Multiple misfire after fill up - coincidence?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Matticus

Matticus

Reaction score
It has ~242,000 miles on it.
I just changed the oil, too :(

Heck...I'd just changed the struts, trans, wheel bearings, 4wd actuators, control arms, spark plugs....the engine ran so good and clean that I was gearing up to keep this for at least 3-5 years

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You might want to consider fixing it. The fact that the trans was replaced is a plus with that high of miles. Either that and cut your losses and move along.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Matticus

Matticus

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I'm going to cut my losses. At a minimum, I think to get this road worthy would cost me about $5000 and a ton of time if I do it myself (which I definitely don't have right now). ~3500 for an engine and I'd have to pay my bro-in-law to help me do it...he does side work for a living, so I don't feel like I could ask him to do it for free.. Shop wants $8000. It'd likely only be worth about $10k-$12k after doing it. I think it's mentally worn me out more than anything. I'm just going to buy something super cheap to get me by for a few months until I pile up some cash to get another one. My friend can get me an average mileage Honda mini-van....*shudder*...I never thought I'd hear myself say "minivan"....for about $1500. I should be able to pile up 10k-15k in the next few months and find another expedition with better options and about half the mileage. Plus, I've learned a lot working on this one. I'm already for the next one!

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My friend can get me an average mileage Honda mini-van....*shudder*...I never thought I'd hear myself say "minivan"...
THAT IS NOT YOUR FRIEND And how dare you say such a horrendous word on this forum. You shuddered because that was your manhood rushing from your body.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Got any kids that play soccer? Perfect vehicle for it! Bright side, as long as you don't overheat it, Honda's are like the Energizer Bunny. Pretty hard to kill em.

OP
OP
Matticus

Matticus

Reaction score
From what I hear, their automatics are a bit on the weak side, but you can still get some good life out of them. I just need it to get me to july-ish. Then, I'll totally bean it out with a fart cannon, faux hood vents, and my last name in giant old english letters on the rear window

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Before you throw in the sponge, get the answer to the question Moose asked: How did they diagnose the problem? I wouldn't blindly trust their diagnosis. At very least, drive it to another shop and pay them to pull the valve cover. Easier enough to do and then you'll know for sure what's going on and what it would take to fix.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing. Why not pay your bro in law to tear off the pass valve cover, and pull the roller rockers and the lifters in the block. You should be able to get everything out without pulling the cam. It's very possible just the rollers are worn, or the lifters are stuck in their bores, easily fixable. Don't put the $2.99 for sale sign on it just yet. If you didn't bend any valves you might be ok.

OP
OP
Matticus

Matticus

Reaction score
Before you throw in the sponge, get the answer to the question Moose asked: How did they diagnose the problem? I wouldn't blindly trust their diagnosis. At very least, drive it to another shop and pay them to pull the valve cover. Easier enough to do and then you'll know for sure what's going on and what it would take to fix.
I never do go by blind faith :D
The tech did a compression test and had reverse compression. I think he's probably right in his assessment that the valves are stuck closed.

I thought about pulling the valve cover to take a peek at what is going on before I make a final decision. Considering how cheap I can get a temporary replacement vehicle, I'm even considering letting the vehicle sit for a while until I can spend some time/money on it and just do a motor swap. Considering I drove it home when the problem first manifest itself and the amount I ran it while trying to troubleshoot, do you think another few miles will hurt it any more than it already is? Seems like the damage has been done at this point