Multiple misfires even after replacing a few things

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Ham, I think a blown tensioner seal, while screwing with the timing would also cause that God-awful chain rattle, with the chain bouncing off the timing cover at least when starting, wouldn't it?

Bggun, as far as the VCT solenoids go, I've never had problems with them so what I'm telling you is only from what I've read. You should be able to unplug one or both of them and the truck should run fine. It will set some codes, which you'll have to clear after plugging the things back in. That's how we diagnose problems with the variable timing. Certainly won't hurt anything. Anyone have actual experience with this?

You've always got the valve train rockers or followers or whatever they call them too. Let's try to eliminate things one by one.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A blown tensioner seal causes a loss of oil pressure to the cam phaser on that side too. I'm not saying this is definitely it, but its starting to sound like it, with the cam timing error codes that the OP had earlier. Shows up more at idle because the oil pressure is generally lower at idle and the leaky seal just aggravates it. At the mileage he's got on the Expy it's in the range to need the timing chain / phaser work done.

megan4221977

Reaction score
Had a misfire and went nuts trying to figure it out… was a bad brand new motorcraft spark plug! Never had that happen before!!!

Mikezr

Reaction score
I'd say it's in the harness broken wire maybe or bad plug. And i would pull those champion plugs as fast as they went in and run a Motorcraft plug. Champions are ok if your using them in a Briggs and Stratton and even that is questionable

Old Guy

Reaction score
Carefully look at the connector for the coil and injector. It does not take a lot of corrosion to cause problems. Another thing to try:
I had a 1970s dodge with developed intermittent ignition problems, but only when hot. I went for a drive and when it occurred, I poured water over the ignition module, and it ran the way it was supposed to. I took it to a dealer, as it was still under warranty, and the service writer said "There was a recall for the ignition module. Didn't you get one?" no. I did not. Seems the factory got a bad batch and were changing them out regardless of warranty and/or miles.
Try the water-cooling trick.

Mikezr

Reaction score
The water trick won't work they're coils on each cylinder. There is a chance I guess that it could be cracked allowing moisture in. I have personally seen multiple bad coils right out of the box though.

Brons2

Reaction score
Ok YD and Boosted, here is an update.... I did the switching and I was still getting CY 2 and looked at the history of the misfires and found them only in cyliders 1-3. I swapped the injectors and the misfires followed the swap. Replaced the injectors 1-4 and no more misfires. YAY!!!... HOWEVER, I still have the P0025 - "B" Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Retarded (Bank 2)
but THAT is the ONLY code I have now.... After the truck warms up, it will throw that code and the idle gets rough and the truck stalls.

When I bought the truck 1.5 months ago, everything was perfect but I started doing a regular maintenance process. New battery (original FoMoCo MotorCraft died on me), oil change with Synthetic blend, brakes, and a few other minor things. Variable timing solenoids are new
I agree with the 2nd mechanic you talked to, you're most likely going to need a timing kit. Very common issue with higher mileage 5.4 3V. If new Ford solenoids didn't fix the P0025 you're probably going to need phasers, and considering your mileage you may as well do the whole kit while the engine is open.

A Melling high volume oil pump is also a recommended addition to the timing kit. The oil pump is able to be taken off and swapped when the crankshaft sprocket for the timing chain is off. The oil pump sits on the snout of the crankshaft.

You can also try thicker oil as a band-aid, that's what I'm doing now, until I have the money to buy the rest of the parts, and the time to put them on. It will get more pressure to the top of the engine.

Speed 330

Reaction score
Welcome. It sounds like you have a mechanic who is throwing parts at a problem he can't diagnose.

Are your current misfires still in cylinder 2? Something may be breaking down when it gets hot. This is common with coils. Why would you replace eight OEM coils with Chinese replacements? It wasn't wise to replace all the coils as you introduce the potential for other problems.

At this point you should determine where the miss is occurring. A good mechanic with good equipment can do this. Hopefully it's a single cylinder and you can move that plug and coil elsewhere, see if the problem follows it and then replace the offending parts.

It's always possible that the problem lies elsewhere, like the valve train, head gasket or injectors. Good diagnostics should enable you to narrow that down. Stop replacing thing blindly. With the poor quality of some new parts, you risk introducing new problems before the original trouble is found.

Good luck with your search. We've all been there.
Yes please quit buying all that chinese-made junk from AutoZone Discount Auto Parts get Ford original parts they're the best they last forever

Speed 330

Reaction score
Hey YD, I am also getting
P0025 - "B" Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Retarded (Bank 2) . I have replaced both VTC's as well.. I read that in certain circumstances, the misfire profile correction needs to be factory reset and it can be done with a snap-on scanner
When it comes to the DVDs you can't put them cheap ones in there you got to use good forward once