Multiple Radiator replacements

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lightnig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the updates, good information there.

One thing I have run into the past with this design of rad, the joint between the rad itself and the tanks can develop very slow weeps around the edge of the tank which can be extremely difficult to find.

This particular issue was very common with the older Taurus's, and a common solution is to take a pair of vice grips and gently recrimp the seal all the way around the tank.

OP
OP
C

case2001

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. That's exactly where mine is leaking. I may try that on the old to keep it as a spare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
C

case2001

Reaction score
Ok just an update. New radiator working fine. I checked again today after driving all summer for exhaust gas in the radiator. There was none.

I applied more silicone to the rubber grommets to keep them pliable. So we will see.

I don't see any evidence of head gasket leak. So it must be some stress.

OP
OP
C

case2001

Reaction score
Ok
So went out this AM and guess what......leak on radiator on same side as 3 previous ones. Appears again to be passenger side lower radiator seam. Not a crack just weeping from the seam.

This is really weird. Any ideas??? Please??

Last edited:

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Clean off the pass side of the radiator and pressure test the cooling system to make sure it is the seam.

Which brands of radiator have you been using?

Where in Ga. are you?

OP
OP
C

case2001

Reaction score
Most of radiators have been replaced at the ford dealership. The last one was a lifetime warranty unit from or orilleys. I am near chattanooga.

OP
OP
C

case2001

Reaction score
Supposedly and he also checked for exhaust gas which I also checked.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They can also use the pressure tester to see how much pressure the system is under while operating. Have they done that? They can also pressure test the screw on cap to see if it releases at the set psi.

Another possibility is that the upper radiator hose is the cause of the leak. I've seen that on other vehicles which make it appear that the tanks are leaking. That is why it is better to clean everything then observe it while running to find the source of the leak.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

case2001

Reaction score
Ok just checked again no exhaust gas in the de gas bottle. The radiator is definitely leaking on the same side as previous 3. Passenger side. Truck is not running hot and the leak is only when the radiator pressurized.

Status
Not open for further replies.