My 2000 5.4l Eddie Bauer 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If the grease in the zerk is solidifying, what’s the grease inside the ball joint doing? I don’t think putting a bolt in there will fix that.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was thinking maybe waters making it's way past your zerk fitting. Didn't know that sludgy grease was all the way through joint. What type of grease are you using? Lb grade is for ball joints and tie rods. Also it might have something to do with your altitude up there, and your SUV gets a workout off road. Let us know how that higher tech grease works out

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What is lb you speak of? Grease is a funny topic. Different manufacturers spec different Grease for even things like wheel bearings then we have the old school mentality that you were supposed to use a different grease Which is higher temperature I believe for disc brake wheel bearings when we still had a few of those I want sealed hubs.
Then they tell us we shouldn't mix greases but how you supposed to know what's in there in the first place. It's all quite a conundrum. I figure any grease is better than no grease but on the items that you can keep pumping and pumping it through I guess you can eventually get most of the old out and get it full of whatever you're putting in there.
Always seem that the blacker Moly looking greases we're slipperier and should actually lubricate better but that would be more like in a more contact spinning kind of fast-moving situation and seems to thin out and disappear quicker. The thicker lithium style or clear, red, brown stuff seems to be stickier and better probably for water displacement.

Last edited:

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
LB is what Stalube or one of those grease guys labeled it. It's than heavier brownish grease you see for most front end parts. Your right, you never know what's in there. I'm sure any heavier grease is better than none. Sealed joints from manufacture get filled, then have to survive that way. By the time they hit 100k, I'm betting theirs very little grease in there.

ams2737

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey Tom did the e fans increase your fuel mileage? Also is the performance improvement still the same as it was when you first installed them?

OP
OP
ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Fuel mileage didn’t really change- and I’ve tracked every single fillup. AC performance is about the only thing that did improve.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's #3 right? The good news is it's still under warranty. Think how fast you are at doing it now! Wasn't that the Mashimoto one?

OP
OP
ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think this is the 4th replacement.

I got the Mishimoto warranty claim radiator sitting in a box in my basement. That will be #5 (I think).

I’m going to look heavily into the possibility of electrolysis being the cause.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are you using total premix coolant? Or is their any tap water involved? These radiators aren't even going a year, that's like what we went through in our Taxis back in 05-11. So what's the next one, maybe custom made by Ron Davis, or some other high end company. For what it's worth, my 2000 has some sort of red coolant in there, instead of the green. I'm going over 4 1/2 years now. Don't know what radiator is in there. If it's original, that's 19 years. Bought the SUV that way.