My 2003 Expedition short honks 4 times on lock and 2 times on unlock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lane87

Reaction score
Correction:03 Expedition.

4 short on Lock via FOB or keypad
2 short honks on lock

I keep trying method found elsewhere on another site that worked for a few days but suddenly is not working anymore. No matter how much wd-40 I spray into the door locks and hatches along with the subsequent door slamming I do (4 each), I am getting the 4 short honks on lock and 2 on unlock again. There is no "door ajar" light and interior lights go off as normal so it doesn't seem to be door open sensor. All doors lock as well. Hood checked. Don't know what else it could be at this point and am about to disable the horn out of frustration.

Ideas?
Any help much appreciated.

Thanks,
Lane87
2003 Expy XLT 5.4L
Excellent condition internal/external
187k miles
Sunroof w/o adjustable rear side windows(unique apparently)

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
lane87

lane87

Reaction score
I just ran a quick test. If I leave a door open intentionally (back window) with door ajar light present I get:
3 honks on Lock
4 Honks on unlock

So I am getting something different and need to find a reference sheet for "honk codes" apparently.

OP
OP
lane87

lane87

Reaction score
Could a moderator please edit the title of this thread to say Expedition rather than Explorer? Thanks.

OP
OP
lane87

lane87

Reaction score
Further investigation has turned up some interesting things.
1. It is now an intermittent issue. 1 day no problems (usually a full day) another day honkville.
2. Walking across Home Depot yesterday and I hear another truck with the very same sounding 4 honks. Then the guy turns around to get something and I hear the 2 honks on unlock. newer model F-150. I ask the guy about it and he says "the dealer said the alarm needs to be reset and it had something to do with the mechanism that makes the parking lights flash when it locks". He said it was too pricey to fix so he just deals with it.
3. When not doing the short honks, my Exp flashes parking lights once on lock and nothing on unlock. Not sure if that is normal operation but assume it is. When honks present, 2 lights flash on lock and 2 lights flash on unlock.

I think Home Depot guy has given me a good clue. I already tried "resetting" the alarm with battery disconnected and terminals shorted together for 10 sec. No difference except sequence is now:
Lock - 4 honks 2 flashes
Unlock - 2 honks 1 light flash.

Going to have to find where this circuitry for making the parking lights flash is. Probably the alarm itself?

Found this elsewhere on here for an '08 Expy:

For future reference.
2 honks = Hood is open or brake is depressed
3 honks = One of the doors is open
4 honks = Tach is not programmed
5 honks = Key is in ignition
6 honks = System is in Service/Valet mode

No Tach on an '03 so it must be something else. Wish I could find the '03 version of this!

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What little information I've been able to find, it sounds like a vehicle security module issue. It is located behind the glove box. About all you can do is reseat the connectors.

Attachments

• vehicle security module.pdf
    74.3 KB · Views: 56
OP
OP
lane87

lane87

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice and diagram. Reset all connectors several times now. Carefully examined the wires and seating of the each clip . all looks like its in great shape. Once re-seating worked for about half a day and then the next time no good and now it is no longer intermittent. My Expy is a full time honker. Perhaps a salvage yard replacement of the module is in order?

OP
OP
lane87

lane87

Reaction score
Just thinking out loud here...
Turns out replacing VSM requires a re-program at the dealer. $$$ Forget that. Now I am thinking it may perhaps be one of the relays in the module. Particularly the one that cycles the parking lamps on lock. Sure wish I knew what 4 honks on lock meant.