Need advice to remove bad fuel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Benjaminxon

Reaction score
My good friend sold me her 1999 expedition, everything works great but the fuel is bad as it's been sitting for 6+ months. I tried adding good fuel and some fuel treatment but after a few attempted starts, i feel theres too much bad fuel in the tank (3/4 full) and i just need to get the bad stuff out and start over with good fuel. Tried a few different tube sizes for basic siphoning but i read somewhere that it probably has an anti-siphoning valve and the tube would need to be the size of a drinking straw to get past the valve. Is this true? I also read about some people cutting the short soft hose right before the tank. I'd like this to be as painless as possible and looking to forgo any cutting if possible. What would be some other suggestions? Is the 'drinking straw size' tube true? Thoughts?? Any help would be fanstic. Thank you.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Disconnect fuel line at fuel rail with fuel line disconnect tool, add hose & clamp to line. Place the hose in a container made for gas. Bypass fuel relay with jumper and watch it go...
Be safe or you'll have a really bad day.

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
Ben, the other option is to remove the fuel filter and then attach a hose to the line coming off of the back side of the fuel filter (ie, the one running to the fuel tank). From there, get yourself say five 5 gallon gas cans and turn the key to the RUN position, let the fuel pump run until the gas can is nearly full. Then turn the key to the OFF position, switch over to a different gas can and go back to the RUN position. Then all you have to do is watch to make sure that once you start seeing bubbles in the fuel, you turn off the truck to prevent running the fuel pump with no fuel running through it (the fuel lubricates the fuel pump and also provides cooling to the fuel pump, hate to see you trash your fuel pump doing this).

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
unless things have changed the ecm will cut power to the pump if it doesn't detect a running engine after 10-15 sec of cranking.

OP
OP
B

Benjaminxon

Reaction score
Yeah, i dont think i want to sit there cranking on the key to keep the fuel pump pumping 20 gallons. I like stamp's suggestion. Is the possibility for a basic siphon out of the question? Even with the small straw sized hose? I k ow that much fuel from a small hose might take a while but i'm trying to do as little 'mechanical' work as possible as well as spending as little as possible. I don't want to have to go buy a hose removal tool as what not. If getting one is where i'm at so be it but other wise i'd like to look into it. I'll keep you posted on the progression on this.

It's my first vehical in over seven years. Paid 500 for it and i'm pretty darn excited. Thanks again!!

signdoctor

Reaction score
Tried and tested

I would listen to Thermo's suggestion and bleed it at the fuel filter. It will be easier access and basic tools; you can also put the fuel can you use to collect it right on the ground without having 8ft of rubber hose. If it does cut off after 10 seconds or so you don't have to keep "cranking" it, just turn the key back to off position and then back to run not start.