Need engine part identified

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GaExpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2000 Expedition with 5.4L

Been having a very slow coolant leak that I couldn't find till this morning when it started steadily dripping while running. Bad part is I have no idea what this part is called so I can get a gasket, o-ring or whatever it needs to be fixed. I attached a photo of the part in question. Its not leaking where the hose attaches to the top of it, but rather where it attaches to what I would call a "crossover pipe". The "pipe" it attaches to runs across to the water outlet on the driver's side of the motor. What is the technical term for these parts so I can get her fixed?

Attachments

• 2013-08-24_14-53-37_556.jpg
    2013-08-24_14-53-37_556.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 549

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Not sure exactly which piece your describing to leak. If its the crossover hose fitting its not designed to be replaceable as far as I know.

The intake manifold along with the crossover pipe is sold as a unit.

Dorman 615-188 Upper Intake Manifold for Ford Truck : Amazon.com : Automotive

Maybe its possible to drill out, tap, and thread in a properly sized hose fitting if that is indeed what you are speaking about.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

GaExpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Maybe this new pic will help a little. The crossover is leaking on the backside of the left side where it attaches to the plastic intake manifold. I circled the area in red. After a few lengthy phone calls I found out the part is called a water crossover. there is an o-ring at the connection on both sides and I had to order them. Part number ES71213 at advance auto. Now that I have that info I'm HOPING I don't have to remove the manifold to install them. Anyone ever taken this crossover off before and know that answer?

Attachments

• Manifold2.jpg
    Manifold2.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 245

Jay87LX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It looks as if it sits right down on top of the intake manifold. I may add that being polastic and old be very careful how tight you crank your bolts- I would advise a torque wrench

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Maybe this new pic will help a little. The crossover is leaking on the backside of the left side where it attaches to the plastic intake manifold. I circled the area in red. After a few lengthy phone calls I found out the part is called a water crossover. there is an o-ring at the connection on both sides and I had to order them. Part number ES71213 at advance auto. Now that I have that info I'm HOPING I don't have to remove the manifold to install them. Anyone ever taken this crossover off before and know that answer?

Just pulled down my original intake manifold from my garage attic storage to check.

There are 6 - 8mm bolts on the underside of the plastic manifold. 3 on either side. Posted some photos below.

Attachments

• 023.jpg
    023.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 249
  • 022.jpg
    022.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 235
  • 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 224
Last edited:
OP
OP
G

GaExpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Those pics are PERFECT! They still wont be fun to get at, but at least now I can see what I'm up against. Hope to have the two seals before lunch tomorrow, and get to work on it.

BIGRED03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just pulled down my original intake manifold from my garage attic storage to check.

There are 6 - 8mm bolts on the underside of the plastic manifold. 3 on either side. Posted some photos below.[/qu

Are these pictures of what you are talking about?

Attachments

• thCAME3FNZ.jpg
    thCAME3FNZ.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 184
  • thCAQCGBN2.jpg
    thCAQCGBN2.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 171
  • thCAY8NEJU.jpg
    thCAY8NEJU.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:
OP
OP
G

GaExpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score

There are 6 - 8mm bolts on the underside of the plastic manifold. 3 on either side. Posted some photos below.[/qu

Are these pictures of what you are talking about?

Yes, the first pic that has the arrow pointing is the joint that's leaking on the backside.

BakerEdition

EF Chaplain
Reaction score
Tom, dont the make a aluminum replacement for those plastic intakes...I remember to police cars had a problem with the plastic cracking...one more thing..do you know or does anyone know did they use the same engine and parts in the police expy as the civilian models?

OP
OP
G

GaExpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wow, this isnt going to be quick or easy as I had hoped. One bolt on each side holding the crossover on is unaccessable. Going to have to take everything off the top of the intake manifold and remove it to get the crossover off.