Need To Replace My Fuel Tank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

engineer1

Reaction score
My 2nd gen '03 has the same type of vents that have cracked (both front and rear) and the front one actually leaks raw gas when the tank is more than 2/3 full while parked on a slope. I have removed the tank and found the manufacturer's name Eaton molded into them. After researching, I concluded they were made of HDPE, high density polyethylene, which is difficult to impossible to bond. I bought a low cost hot air plastic welder from Harbor Freight, and a few different shapes of HDPE welding rod from various online sources to practice with. After completely draining the tank and blowing compressor air into it for a few days until gas vapors were gone, I have now welded the cracks. I believe the welds were successful, but I have not yet pressure tested to verify. This is a casual project, so I won't know for a while until I finish the job. but I thought I'd post it for consideration of an alternative process. I'm taking photos as I go, and if eventually successful I will post results. Be careful the welds don't interfere with the quick connect vent line fittings. Just be extra careful that there are no fumes present. Even though I felt it was safe I had a fan blowing the area and a fire extinguisher handy.

OP
OP
Robert Wagner

Robert Wagner

Reaction score
I am curios as to how you became aware of the leak? Smell of fumes? A failure code? I have a 2001 and smell fuel when I exit the vehicle. A new gas cap seemed to help, but it is back.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
The "service engine soon" light came on and the code reader returned "P0442."

OP
OP
Robert Wagner

Robert Wagner

Reaction score
My 2nd gen '03 has the same type of vents that have cracked (both front and rear) and the front one actually leaks raw gas when the tank is more than 2/3 full while parked on a slope. I have removed the tank and found the manufacturer's name Eaton molded into them. After researching, I concluded they were made of HDPE, high density polyethylene, which is difficult to impossible to bond. I bought a low cost hot air plastic welder from Harbor Freight, and a few different shapes of HDPE welding rod from various online sources to practice with. After completely draining the tank and blowing compressor air into it for a few days until gas vapors were gone, I have now welded the cracks. I believe the welds were successful, but I have not yet pressure tested to verify. This is a casual project, so I won't know for a while until I finish the job. but I thought I'd post it for consideration of an alternative process. I'm taking photos as I go, and if eventually successful I will post results. Be careful the welds don't interfere with the quick connect vent line fittings. Just be extra careful that there are no fumes present. Even though I felt it was safe I had a fan blowing the area and a fire extinguisher handy.
Eager to see your results as I may have to follow your resolution path as well!

OP
OP
Robert Wagner

Robert Wagner

Reaction score
Can't tell from pic exactly where the leak(s) are located. If it's the hard plastic that's cracked, how about cleaning and applying some epoxy to seal it from the outside? Just a thought but then again the ethanol/fumes may not be friendly to the repair. Is there an epoxy mix that can hold-up to the gas and fumes?
I did find https://www.jbweld.com/projects/gas-tank-repair but it seems tailored to holes as opposed to hair line cracks. :banghead:

zfifty

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Shop says I need to replace the tank but the tank is no longer made. Apparently my only option is to find a NOS one or roll the dice on a pull from a junk yard.

Might want to check with the salvage yard before laying your bets. The local "pull a parts" here drain all the gas tanks by puncturing a hole in them before the vehicle is placed in the yard. So even those would need repair.

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am surprised no one sells an aftermarket tank in aluminum.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

JB1258

Reaction score
If you can find out what it is really made of Permatex is very good at having something to fix this also contact J-B Weld all of these if you need to seal the cracks I would call the mfg.I have listed and explain what you are dealing with and maybe they can help

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
The EVAP monitor won't run when the tank is above 3/4 full, or outside temp is below 40 degrees. It will just show monitor 'not ready'. It also takes 2 failures to trigger the CEL light. Most states allow for 1(or 2) monitors to be not ready, for state inspection. If you keep your tank between full and 3/4 the light will never come on. You just have to clear the code.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geovanni