New '22 Expedition Limited Stealth

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

USKflt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As promised, I'm posting a separate thread after picking up our Expedition today. It is a Limited MAX 4X4 with the 303A package, HD Tow, eLSD, CCD & cargo. It was 8.5hrs one way to the dealer so was a very long day, but also gave me plenty of seat time on the way home. Sorry in advance for the length but wanted to answer some questions I've seen and was also curious about. TLDR: Was worth the wait but a few disappointments (pics in next post). I'll edit this to include other thoughts as they come back to me.

Tracker Dates:
12/02/21 - Ordered
02/14/22 - Original Production Date
03/30/22 - Actual Production Date & Sent Offsite
04/08/22 - Built
04/18/22 - Delivered to Dealer
04/30/22 - Final Prep Finished

Purchase Info:
Got it for 3% under invoice plus another $4,500 in rebates. So made out really well I think. They only charged about $215 in fees. Only option removed from Ford was auto start/stop.

For reference, I traded in a 2017 Explorer Sport and have a 2020 Expedition KR in the family. So these are the baselines of my observations

Aesthetics - I was a little meh on the new headlight design but after seeing it in person I am 100% sold. They look SO much better in person, especially the Stealth. Pictures don't do them justice at all.
Power - After driving mine, I'm glad I didn't bump up to the 304A. This has plenty of power and 40hp not worth the cost.
Ride - Seems more firm and composed than the 2020 but still a bit floaty at times. Time will tell if it's due to being an improvement or just fresh shocks. Was hoping for a little tighter, but it does seem better.
Sync 4 - So glad I didn't opt for the 4A. The 12" screen is perfect and love having the physical buttons. They did an excellent job balancing the buttons & screen options. I was second guessing myself but now have absolutely no regrets.
Adaptive Cruise - Seems improved from the 2020, but still has a tendency to be jerky at times. I've found the key is to use the blinker at the right time when planning to switch lanes.
B&O - I thought it sounded pretty good. Glad I didn't go for the Unleashed system for what they charge.
MPG - Got 15mpg hand calculated, but was mostly interstate into the wind. So not passing judgement until it's broken in.

Disappointments:
- High beams are actually pretty good. Low beams are horribly underwhelming, IMO. Need to check my alignment sometime.
- Seemed like every convenience setting was disabled by default and I had to go through and enable them (folding mirrors, BLIS, adaptive features, etc.)
- License plate lights are the only non-LED light on the exterior. Just lame.
- Has a rear camera washer but not on the front like I believed it would. Must be an HD tow thing.
- Door gaps & lines seem pretty good, but have some other minor fit and finish things (see pics later on)
- Auto wipers - Behaved very erratically and were not consistent at all
- Wireless charger - Still sucks big time. Slow charging, hot and bad placement. My phone lost charge while using Google Maps.
- Doesn't have perimeter lighting when you get close with the key. Didn't find a setting.
- They got rid of the MPG history chart which I use a lot in our other Ford vehicles
- I guess I misunderstood the speed sign recognition. Thought it would adjust cruise but seems to just be a warning. I'll dig some more on this.
- My parents' 2020 KR has a little mirror by the sunglasses holder that's nice for looking in the backseat. This one doesn't have it.
- Need to test the reverse pedestrian detection. Hopefully I didn't lose that along with the park assist.

**** Edited ****

I ordered the WeatherTech HP full mat set for the 2021 MAX and they fit perfectly. These are exponentially better than the regular LaserFit liners I’ve used for years. Lay flatter, more traction, etc. I was going to try Husky or Max Liners but glad I didn’t. These look much better IMO.

I also ordered the WeatherTech mud flaps for the 2021. The fronts fit perfectly but the rears do not. I’ll have to see if I can just send the rears back until they release them for the 2022. So that was a bummer.

Last edited:
OP
OP
U

USKflt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Pics 2

Attachments

• BB311C04-7E61-4A7E-A810-BE4510CB8E3E.jpeg
    BB311C04-7E61-4A7E-A810-BE4510CB8E3E.jpeg
    123.9 KB · Views: 125
  • 2D3ED3BD-B10F-44AF-8EFB-06454D693F7F.jpeg
    2D3ED3BD-B10F-44AF-8EFB-06454D693F7F.jpeg
    122.7 KB · Views: 121
  • 466F3396-1DB9-419C-ACCB-08B65551F786.jpeg
    466F3396-1DB9-419C-ACCB-08B65551F786.jpeg
    93.8 KB · Views: 124

Cadet7263

Reaction score
As promised, I'm posting a separate thread after picking up our Expedition today. It is a Limited MAX 4X4 with the 303A package, HD Tow, eLSD, CCD & cargo. It was 8.5hrs one way to the dealer so was a very long day, but also gave me plenty of seat time on the way home. Sorry in advance for the length but wanted to answer some questions I've seen and was also curious about. TLDR: Was worth the wait but a few disappointments (pics in next post). I'll edit this to include other thoughts as they come back to me.

Tracker Dates:
12/02/21 - Ordered
02/14/22 - Original Production Date
03/30/22 - Actual Production Date & Sent Offsite
04/08/22 - Built
04/18/22 - Delivered to Dealer
04/30/22 - Final Prep Finished

Purchase Info:
Got it for 3% under invoice plus another $4,500 in rebates. So made out really well I think. They only charged about $215 in fees. Only option removed from Ford was auto start/stop.

For reference, I traded in a 2017 Explorer Sport and have a 2020 Expedition KR in the family. So these are the baselines of my observations

Aesthetics - I was a little meh on the new headlight design but after seeing it in person I am 100% sold. They look SO much better in person, especially the Stealth. Pictures don't do them justice at all.
Power - After driving mine, I'm glad I didn't bump up to the 304A. This has plenty of power and 40hp not worth the cost.
Ride - Seems more firm and composed than the 2020 but still a bit floaty at times. Time will tell if it's due to being an improvement or just fresh shocks. Was hoping for a little tighter, but it does seem better.
Sync 4 - So glad I didn't opt for the 4A. The 12" screen is perfect and love having the physical buttons. They did an excellent job balancing the buttons & screen options. I was second guessing myself but now have absolutely no regrets.
Adaptive Cruise - Seems improved from the 2020, but still has a tendency to be jerky at times. I've found the key is to use the blinker at the right time when planning to switch lanes.
B&O - I thought it sounded pretty good. Glad I didn't go for the Unleashed system for what they charge.
MPG - Got 15mpg hand calculated, but was mostly interstate into the wind. So not passing judgement until it's broken in.

Disappointments:
- High beams are actually pretty good. Low beams are horribly underwhelming, IMO. Need to check my alignment sometime.
- Seemed like every convenience setting was disabled by default and I had to go through and enable them (folding mirrors, BLIS, adaptive features, etc.)
- License plate lights are the only non-LED light on the exterior. Just lame.
- Has a rear camera washer but not on the front like I believed it would. Must be an HD tow thing.
- Door gaps & lines seem pretty good, but have some other minor fit and finish things (see pics later on)
- Auto wipers - Behaved very erratically and were not consistent at all
- Wireless charger - Still sucks big time. Slow charging, hot and bad placement. My phone lost charge while using Google Maps.
- Doesn't have perimeter lighting when you get close with the key. Didn't find a setting.
- They got rid of the MPG history chart which I use a lot in our other Ford vehicles
- I guess I misunderstood the speed sign recognition. Thought it would adjust cruise but seems to just be a warning. I'll dig some more on this.
- My parents' 2020 KR has a little mirror by the sunglasses holder that's nice for looking in the backseat. This one doesn't have it.
- Need to test the reverse pedestrian detection. Hopefully I didn't lose that along with the park assist.

**** Edited ****

I ordered the WeatherTech HP full mat set for the 2021 MAX and they fit perfectly. These are exponentially better than the regular LaserFit liners I’ve used for years. Lay flatter, more traction, etc. I was going to try Husky or Max Liners but glad I didn’t. These look much better IMO.

I also ordered the WeatherTech mud flaps for the 2021. The fronts fit perfectly but the rears do not. I’ll have to see if I can just send the rears back until they release them for the 2022. So that was a bummer.
Glad you finally got it. Thanks for the updates. Only difference I have from you is the 15.5” screen. Can’t wait to get mine, one day!!! Lol.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like you found a great deal, and it looks nice!
It seems like the updates are so minor compared to the previous generation.

The chicken wire grill just looks so gross. Looks like it belongs on the lowest trim possible. I can't believe anyone designed that and thought that was ok for 80-90 grand.

The screens not integrated into the dash just look like some engineer said "f it, lets slap an iPad on there and go have a beer".

OP
OP
U

USKflt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like you found a great deal, and it looks nice!
It seems like the updates are so minor compared to the previous generation.

The chicken wire grill just looks so gross. Looks like it belongs on the lowest trim possible. I can't believe anyone designed that and thought that was ok for 80-90 grand.

The screens not integrated into the dash just look like some engineer said "f it, lets slap an iPad on there and go have a beer".
Agree to disagree on most of your points. Exterior updates are minor, but Sync 4 alone is a HUGE upgrade over previous years. Not even close. I also like the design of the dash and controls better. There is a really nice rubberized storage tray behind the screen so I like that it’s not blended in totally. Also, disagree on the exterior. Side by side, my parents’ 2020 KR looks dated (and even more so on the interior). The new design is much sleeker and clean in person. There is no comparison between the taillight designs either.

DFWHD

Reaction score
Love the silver with stealth package. That's what I had on order, but ended up finding a dealer stock black stealth locally that had just arrived and grabbed it as not to wait it out for months on end.

I'm moving up from a 2013 Expedition XLT, so there is no real comparison. I don't have any issue with low beams, they seem as bright as I expected (so much better than the 2013). I noticed the speed sign thing too, but do believe it's just a warning. As for the camera in front, I have HD tow and the Sync 4A larger touchscreen and certainly does have the front camera. Maybe it's part of the Sync 4A package? Sadly, I got my first scratch on the rear bumper today. Tried to buff it out, which helped some but still visible. I guess the universe didn't intend me to keep it pristine too long. As my wife said, "I'm just glad it wasn't me that did it". A lot of truth there! :)

OP
OP
U

USKflt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Love the silver with stealth package. That's what I had on order, but ended up finding a dealer stock black stealth locally that had just arrived and grabbed it as not to wait it out for months on end.

I'm moving up from a 2013 Expedition XLT, so there is no real comparison. I don't have any issue with low beams, they seem as bright as I expected (so much better than the 2013). I noticed the speed sign thing too, but do believe it's just a warning. As for the camera in front, I have HD tow and the Sync 4A larger touchscreen and certainly does have the front camera. Maybe it's part of the Sync 4A package? Sadly, I got my first scratch on the rear bumper today. Tried to buff it out, which helped some but still visible. I guess the universe didn't intend me to keep it pristine too long. As my wife said, "I'm just glad it wasn't me that did it". A lot of truth there! :)
Mine does have a front camera. Just not a front washer for the camera. The rear one has a washer. I was under the impression it would have both as the 2020 does and our Explorer even did. I’m assuming it’s an HD tow package deal.

texevora

Reaction score
Thanks for the detailed write-up. I’m trying to decide whether to go through with my trade-in of my ‘19 Expy Limited 4x4 for my incoming order of a ‘22 limited 4x4 stealth performance pkg.

Im confused about your comments on the headlights, can you elaborate on what you like more about the new design? The low beams were disappointing? Any idea how they compare to the 19-21s with LED headlights?

On the taillights, are you saying the new design is better? Always thought the taillights looked pretty good on the 19-21s (the ones with LEDs)

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I guess I misunderstood the speed sign recognition. Thought it would adjust cruise but seems to just be a warning. I'll dig some more on this.

Meh, who obeys the speed limits anyway? :p

Need to test the reverse pedestrian detection. Hopefully I didn't lose that along with the park assist.

Just listen for the screaming. :)

Congrats on the new ride!