New Expedition Cold Start Sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

daviddsims

Reaction score
I just bought a Certified 2018 Ford Expedition Limited with 40k miles on it. It was a one owner lease and everything seems good on it. The past few mornings when the wife starts it, there is a terrible sound from the engine area for a few seconds and then it goes away. After that, we can restart it and not replicate it until it sits all night. We're going to carry it back to dealer but they are 2.5 hours away so it's not a quick trip. After the car is warmed up we can't tell that there are any issues but the startup sound is terrible and not right. Any idea what this could be? Our weather is not cold as most mornings are in the 50's.

OP
OP
D

daviddsims

Reaction score
I also followed the owners manual guide for checking oil. Warmed up to operating temp, let cool for 15 minutes and then check. Was surprised to see the oil way above the top mark, debating draining out or just changing even though it's new.

osteodoc08

Full Access Members
Reaction score
if there are no drive ability issues it is likely the turbo.

Bow512

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Cam phasers. Should be covered under the powertrain warranty and will probably take a week or so to replace. I had mine done in January and it’s been good so far. They also replaced my turbo actuators and linkage and that help that rattle as well.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If it’s a hideous racket for about 2 seconds, it’s bad cam phasers. If it’s a soft rattle for about 30 seconds, it’s a harmless exhaust issue.