new motor or sell -6cyl misfire -thoughts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kodiak59

Reaction score
Hi all,
First post and looking for some opinions.
My son (17) bought his first vehicle last year- 2006 Expy SSV last spring, had 80K miles, clean body and frame. (He has his own bass boat, hence the need to for a truck.) The check engine light came on, and then on the way to our mechanic, it went off. Then 2 days later came back on. Showed as 6th cylinder misfire. Mechanic said the plug was coated with oil. Cleaned off and reset and light is off. Doesn't seem to be running bad, but gas mileage has dropped below 9mpg.

My mechanic, (local to town and well respected) said to trade/sell. I asked about a motor replacement, he said 'trade or sell, not worth the cost and you don't know the condition of differentials, tranny, etc..' It has the 5.4 v8. SSV, so no carpeting, basic steel wheels, no 3rd row, etc..

Only paid $4400 for the vehicle. Thoughts??
- Pay $3-4k for a used motor to be installed? Is this worth it?
- Pay $5-7k for another used truck and take the loss?

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I suspect the 9 MPG has something to do with 17 year old driver. Our Expedition, heavier than yours but with the same 5.4L gets low to mid 20's in fuel economy. When our teenage son would borrow it, I'd reset the average and sure enough, when he brought it back, the average was now like 12 MPG. Miraculous, aint it?

A new air filter, cleaned TB, tire pressure corrected, new plugs and a variety of other improve-your-mileage efforts won't change the fact a teen driver is behind the wheel.

No way I'd spend $3-4K for a new motor when the one you have runs just fine. No need to trade it. Tune it up and accelerate easier.

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yup just have it fixed. The oil on the plug may just be due to wear on the valve stem oil seal. Not a major repair and the fact that the body is in good condition, might be worth keeping the truck.

Lostneye

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Agree with the others. Mileage is mostly due to driving style. I wouldn't fix/sell it if it isn't broken.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

Kodiak59

Reaction score
Hi All,
Even when I drive his Expy, the mileage is about 9-12mpg (20 mile commute when I use his occasionally), so not necessarily a youth driver issue. Couple people said to add the Lucas oil treatment to help seal cylinder leak to 'buy more time'...

bnicov

Reaction score
Before getting rid of it, have the o2 sensors been replaced?? Can you find a used cylinder head in a scrapyard relatively nearby? Snakeoil may help disguise the problem but will not fix it.

Skauber

Full Access Members
Reaction score
20+ mpg? Cant be city driving if so, I doubt thats possible in a 2nd gen Expy.. 10 to 15 mpg in city driving seems to be normal on an Expy with the 5.4, depending on how much traffic you face and how much time is spent stuck and idling. May push it to 18 on pure highway cruising

OP
OP
K

Kodiak59

Reaction score
One of the 02 sensors was replaced about 5 months ago. Plugs are a couple years old.
replacing cylinder head is WAY beyond my abilities. I'm asking around now for some costs for cylinder or full motor replacement. For some reason my mechanic is against that.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How fast does it go through a quark of oil? Is there blue smoke on first startup?
Introduce your boy to busting knuckles and turning wrenches and if it really needs fixing it would make a good father son project. There are plenty of us here that will guide you along the way.
Walking the first time after birth was a ***** but we mastered that....this isn't that bad.

OP
OP
K

Kodiak59

Reaction score
Thanks Stamp11127 - No smoke upon start up, but it does idle rough for about 10-12 seconds before settling down. We did oil changes 2x since we got it, so not sure about oil consumption.
Had the kid soldering in 4th grade (took video to prove to teachers who thought I made his hover craft), power tools and wood working in middle school, basic boat engine work, etc. so he's knowledgeable. I jst don't have the tools or space for full engine work. Plus he needs a vehicle for sports, job, school etc.