New spare tire carrier

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

babysilk

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey all, just ordered this online. It isnt quite what I wanted but for the price I couldn't pass it up. I LOVE the fact that it folds down so I can still open the hatch. I know it's made for trailer tires and not a 37" tire but I am going to beef it up a bit. I am going to drill holes in my 1/4" thick steel bumper and then may also have my neighbor weld on it a bit. Not to mention lock tight on absolutely every bolt. What do you guys think?

Update: Hey all! After my first attempt trying to mount this spare tire carrier I had my doubts. Left it on the work bench for a few days and gave it some thought. Added a few washers on the inside of the pivot to eliminate any unwanted space. Drilled four holes through my rear bumper to mount the plate. lock tight on everything. Locking washers with nylon threaded nuts. Chained around my steel bumper for a few reasons. Protection against thieves(not my main concern), eliminates the tire from rocking side to side, and lastly in case SH** hits the fan...... I'd rather drag the tire and do possible damage to my own truck then to put any other motorists in harm. Still have access to the window while having the tire stay in its current position. Also have access to the rear hatch. There is a hitch pin that after being pulled allows the tire to swing down towards the ground. Last thing I am looking for is a longer hitch pins to make removal a bit easier.

photo11_zps2ddecba5.jpg

photo51_zps1f0f09dc.jpg.html

photo3-1_zpsd9add175.jpg

photo17-1_zpsdda3a311.jpg

Last edited:

tallsville

Full Access Members
Reaction score
if your neighbor can weld. why not have him fab something up for you?

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
+1 on beefing up/rigidizing.
it says 70# capacity; sure your wheel/tire plus gravity and physics will be [much] more than this.

Look forward to pics of progress.

PanHandler.

OP
OP
babysilk

babysilk

Full Access Members
Reaction score
tallsville- He works sun up to sun down every day and I have only met him a handful of times.

I won't know for sure what course of action I am going to take until it arrives and I can really look it over. I will be sure to take pictures of the project

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
can u give the link you got it from...i wouldnt mind have a 5th 26" rim as a spare

SWWAFordGuy

Reaction score
I was looking at something similar for my 1st Gen. I haven't done the research into this yet but, is there some reason why a rear tire swing gate like what was found on the older full-size Bronco's and a smaller version on the Bronco II wouldn't work on an Expedition?

Mounting something like that changes the overall look of the truck but so what? You don't have crawl underneath in the mud and gunk to retrieve your spare.

Basically, what I want to know, is if I found an old rear tire swing gate off a Bronco or Bronco II, can it be mounted to an Expy? Is there enough frame back there to support that weight?