New Timberline Owner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheLastGentleman

Reaction score
Picked up my 2022 Timberline in Dark Matter Metallic yesterday. 501A and Heavy Duty Tow Package.

This is my first Ford, we bought this to upgrade from our 2016 Pilot Touring AWD. I still drive a 2010 Tundra. We wanted to get back to a proper 4x4 for Colorado trips and something larger since we have 3 older teens.

I like the engine so far, transmission seems good. The Pilot transmission is garbage (the 9sp they only used in 16). Nice to have something not lose its mind while passing at highway speeds. I drove it home about 100 miles from the dealer. The seats are super comfortable, really enjoy the ventilating feature. Tons of customization with powered steering column, moveable pedals, etc. Plenty of storage.

I was most concerned about not liking the huge 15.5" screen, but in practice its pretty good. You don't have to go deep diving into menus to do stuff, most everything you need is one or two clicks away. I do wish there was haptic feedback but you don't even get that on an iPad screen yet. No issues with wireless Carplay on the trip back or going to dinner later. I do have an iphone 13 pro so I'm guessing a new model helps. The phone got a little warm with the wireless charger but it had some sun on it, when I closed the little box it was cooler. In practice the screen is really split into 4 areas: the climate at the bottom, a row of buttons for radio, etc, the Carplay/Nav area, and a small menu bar at the top. So its not like the whole thing is changing around all the time. I think it will be pretty easy to get some muscle memory on the climate controls, and carplay is very intuitive and easy to swap around from maps to Spotify or have them both up there.

Power folding mirrors is nice, the big sunroof, and the permanent step rail. Jury is out on the Goodyear Wrangler tires but I'll give them a shot. I have BFG KO2's on my Tundra and I'll do something like that next.

Got some Thule crossbars delivered yesterday and Weathertech floor mats should be in tomorrow.

IMG_8067.jpeg

IMG_8069.jpeg

IMG_8070.jpeg

67053184208__CB9907D1-3BAC-4028-BCE8-73EFDF6D9EAB.jpeg

rvmode

Reaction score
Looks great! Congrats and thanks for the post. Did you order it or buy it from stock? I ordered a 501A with tow package and a few other items (but not RES) on 1/28... Haven't seen a production date yet but not sweating it. If you ordered, do you mind sharing your order confirmation date?

Also, how did the Timberline suspension feel on the highway? I'm sure there will be some settling, etc but I'm curious for your early feedback on road manners. Thanks again for the post...

OP
OP
T

TheLastGentleman

Reaction score
I found one that had just come in at the dealer. Got lucky and called the day it came off the truck. It’s does not have the RES, I probably looked at 30 on different dealer sites and saw all had 501A, about half the tow package and zero RES.

I’d say in general the ride was pretty smooth but it’s still a truck like feel. A little bouncy on a sudden bump at speed but I think that will settle in a bit. Not as harsh as my Tundra by any means, even when it was new.

USKflt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Picked up my 2022 Timberline in Dark Matter Metallic yesterday. 501A and Heavy Duty Tow Package.

This is my first Ford, we bought this to upgrade from our 2016 Pilot Touring AWD. I still drive a 2010 Tundra. We wanted to get back to a proper 4x4 for Colorado trips and something larger since we have 3 older teens.

I like the engine so far, transmission seems good. The Pilot transmission is garbage (the 9sp they only used in 16). Nice to have something not lose its mind while passing at highway speeds. I drove it home about 100 miles from the dealer. The seats are super comfortable, really enjoy the ventilating feature. Tons of customization with powered steering column, moveable pedals, etc. Plenty of storage.

I was most concerned about not liking the huge 15.5" screen, but in practice its pretty good. You don't have to go deep diving into menus to do stuff, most everything you need is one or two clicks away. I do wish there was haptic feedback but you don't even get that on an iPad screen yet. No issues with wireless Carplay on the trip back or going to dinner later. I do have an iphone 13 pro so I'm guessing a new model helps. The phone got a little warm with the wireless charger but it had some sun on it, when I closed the little box it was cooler. In practice the screen is really split into 4 areas: the climate at the bottom, a row of buttons for radio, etc, the Carplay/Nav area, and a small menu bar at the top. So its not like the whole thing is changing around all the time. I think it will be pretty easy to get some muscle memory on the climate controls, and carplay is very intuitive and easy to swap around from maps to Spotify or have them both up there.

Power folding mirrors is nice, the big sunroof, and the permanent step rail. Jury is out on the Goodyear Wrangler tires but I'll give them a shot. I have BFG KO2's on my Tundra and I'll do something like that next.

Got some Thule crossbars delivered yesterday and Weathertech floor mats should be in tomorrow.

View attachment 72813

View attachment 72814

View attachment 72815

View attachment 72816
Did you go with the standard Weathertechs or the HPs?

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Those running boards and wheels don't do it any favors in appearance!

Enjoy it!

OP
OP
T

TheLastGentleman

Reaction score
Those running boards and wheels don't do it any favors in appearance!

Enjoy it!
It would look better with some fatter tires, but I’m glad it’s on 18’s. The running board is my least favorite in appearance, might replace with something better looking.

USKflt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Would you mind posting your thoughts and some pics of each row/coverage once you get them in? I’ve always done WTs in the past but was leaning Husky until I came across the newer HPs. Our Expedition‘s ETA is later this month and trying to make a decision on mats. I’ve already decided on the folding OEM mat for the cargo area.

Dworth

Reaction score
Congrats. Cannot believe they have the white letters on the outside of the tire. That would drive me insane but sounds like you may be upgrading soon.