New to me 2007 EL LIMITED & all it's problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ben Ford

Reaction score
I bought a 2007 EL LIMITED and since buying it have discovered one problem after another. Mind you it has 175k miles...[emoji849]

There is a growling noise that gets louder as your speed increases and quiets as you slow down. So everything I know that tells me it's a wheel bear which means hi assembly. Bummer but ok. I plan on replacing that this weekend.

When braking the vehicle pulls to the left hard!! We'll that sucks cause the right caliper is bad.... Fixing that this weekend too... I was hoping that that was it. Nope!

All the lug nuts need to be replaced cause they have that crappy "tin foil sleeve" that makes it I'm possible to remove the lug nuts. So I have some new lug nuts on order thanks to another forum where a guy posted a link on Amazon to what seems by review a good set of lug nuts.

Then while driving it the first day after purchase what do y'all know!! The freaking check engine light comes on indicating P0171 and P0174. Bank 1 & 2 lean. So being the slick guy I am I look over all the vacuum lines and believe I find the culprit and replaced it[emoji16][emoji41]

But, the check engine light came back on same codes[emoji45]. So now I am inclined to think that the issue is the intake gaskets as they are prone to leak with high mileage...[emoji21][emoji26]

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

GaryH2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bought a 2007 EL LIMITED and since buying it have discovered one problem after another. Mind you it has 175k miles...[emoji849]

There is a growling noise that gets louder as your speed increases and quiets as you slow down. So everything I know that tells me it's a wheel bear which means hi assembly. Bummer but ok. I plan on replacing that this weekend.

When braking the vehicle pulls to the left hard!! We'll that sucks cause the right caliper is bad.... Fixing that this weekend too... I was hoping that that was it. Nope!

All the lug nuts need to be replaced cause they have that crappy "tin foil sleeve" that makes it I'm possible to remove the lug nuts. So I have some new lug nuts on order thanks to another forum where a guy posted a link on Amazon to what seems by review a good set of lug nuts.

Then while driving it the first day after purchase what do y'all know!! The freaking check engine light comes on indicating P0171 and P0174. Bank 1 & 2 lean. So being the slick guy I am I look over all the vacuum lines and believe I find the culprit and replaced it[emoji16][emoji41]

But, the check engine light came back on same codes[emoji45]. So now I am inclined to think that the issue is the intake gaskets as they are prone to leak with high mileage...[emoji21][emoji26]

I have similar miles and also have the growling/rubbing sound from the from end. I've also heard that it could be the solenoid partially engaging the hubs. I plan to try that before the IWE expense.

Regarding the braking, I had a similar problem too. It turned out to be the flex lines to the calipers. If you haven't, you might want to replace them.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

Ben Ford

Reaction score
I have similar miles and also have the growling/rubbing sound from the from end. I've also heard that it could be the solenoid partially engaging the hubs. I plan to try that before the IWE expense.

Regarding the braking, I had a similar problem too. It turned out to be the flex lines to the calipers. If you haven't, you might want to replace them.

I will absolutely replace the flex lines before the caliper!! Thanks!!!

I let you know how the growling noise goes!!

GaryH2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I will absolutely replace the flex lines before the caliper!! Thanks!!!

I let you know how the growling noise goes!!

Likewise on the solenoid. It's a $30 part located on the radiator fan shroud of all places.

My 07 never stopped all that well until the lined were replaced. That made a huge difference. It's never brakes better at 195k miles!

My growling is intermittent, so it's difficult to sort out. I'm hoping I'm on the right track to sort that out.

Also, check the frame right behind the front wheels, at the base of the body there below the windshield. On the passenger side, it looks like the AC condenser outlet drips there and causes rust. I cleaned it up and coated with POR15, but it looked pretty bad. The corrosion looked like it was on the cover plate over the frame rails, not so much the frame itself.

OP
OP
B

Ben Ford

Reaction score
I failed to mention that it has a hard start. When you start it everytime after you shut it off it takes two or three cranks to start. I have come to the conclusion that the fuel pump check valve (that is part of the fuel pump assembly) is bad because the vehicle has no fuel pressure after shutting it off.... So there is that as well[emoji19]

And the air suspension compressor is very noisy when it starts[emoji58]. I suspect it's because the rubber grommets that mount the compressor and bracket are worn and need to be replaced[emoji848]. This too I will be replacing in the next week[emoji19]

And the last thing as of right now[emoji51] is the hydraulic arms for the glass on the lift gate are bad as the hydraulic fluid is leaking and the glass won't stay up. Not a big issue just more to add to the list my list of repairs!![emoji52]

GaryH2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I failed to mention that it has a hard start. When you start it everytime after you shut it off it takes two or three cranks to start. I have come to the conclusion that the fuel pump check valve (that is part of the fuel pump assembly) is bad because the vehicle has no fuel pressure after shutting it off.... So there is that as well[emoji19]

And the air suspension compressor is very noisy when it starts[emoji58]. I suspect it's because the rubber grommets that mount the compressor and bracket are worn and need to be replaced[emoji848]. This too I will be replacing in the next week[emoji19]

And the last thing as of right now[emoji51] is the hydraulic arms for the glass on the lift gate are bad as the hydraulic fluid is leaking and the glass won't stay up. Not a big issue just more to add to the list my list of repairs!![emoji52]

I don't have those issues, but my hatch struts are looking some of their strength.

I also just replaced the sunroof seal. That was getting brittle.

It's been a great truck, but now it's got some of the issues your get with an older vehicle.

OP
OP
B

Ben Ford

Reaction score
Makes a pre-purchase inspection at a mechanic of your choice seem pretty reasonably priced.
Maybe, the circumstances had a lot to do with the decision made to purchase. Older expedition, we we're leaving town the next day, small window to look and purchase. Just all the red flags that I ignored and know better. One of the better worse purchases I've made!!![emoji12]

If I had the time of day with the previous owner I would've taken it to a hobby shop and raised it up and inspected it thouroughly. Well lesson learned... Expensive lesson but, lesson learned...[emoji19]