New to me Expy, already having problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChrisOIFdoc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I figured a Ford dealer would be qualified. Who knew?

A dealer is qualified to be a dealer. A privately owned shop survives off of customer satisfaction and word of mouth. Big difference. For what specific reasons are you being told you need a new motor?

ChrisOIFdoc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OK..I'll help you answer my question.

Low compression?
Worn cams?
Worn crank, bearings, etc?
Cracked block?
Worn guides?
Heads blown to shit?
Threw a rod and destroyed the block?
All pistons blew up and scored the cylinders beyond repair?
The motor is seized?
All the above because it was purchased at a salvage yard?
??????
List needs to be long enough or major enough to justify an engine swap.
The only time anyone should go to the dealer is when there is warranty coverage.
Find a local mechanic with a good rep or learn to turn a wrench.

OP
OP
G

Glenn B

Reaction score
I had it to two different local mechanics (one near the place that sold the truck, the other near where I was living at the time.) The most recent one did a few minor things like new belt, solenoids, etc, but admitted he was in over his head when it started stalling out. He recommended taking it to a Ford dealer, who replaced two solenoid that did nothing. Latest from them is "I could spend lots of your money trying to find the problem or we could just drop a new engine in it." The consensus seems to be that a Ford engine is pronounced dead when it hits 150k miles; mine has 180k. I'm hesitant to put any more money into it at this point and I have neither the time nor the expertise to start tearing it apart myself.

theoldwizard1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The consensus seems to be that a Ford engine is pronounced dead when it hits 150k miles; mine has 180k.
WRONG WRONG WRONG !

You just ran into a couple of INCOMPETENT mechanics. A few years ago, there was a van with almost the exact same engine that went 1.2 MILLION miles ! Maintenance was very poor (oil change interval between 10,000 and 25,000 miles) but the engine kept running.

Cal the place I mentioned before and at least get a verbal estimate.

mbed

Reaction score
My experience says diesel sound at low idle speed may possibly be fixed by replacing the variable timing solenoids AND running a slightly heavier oil. I usually use 5qt of the recommended 5W-20 and top off with 2 qts 10W-30 or 40 to increase viscosity for cam phasers

was on 3rd gen early build 2008 with 3v 5.4 Triton though

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
WRONG WRONG WRONG !

You just ran into a couple of INCOMPETENT mechanics. A few years ago, there was a van with almost the exact same engine that went 1.2 MILLION miles ! Maintenance was very poor (oil change interval between 10,000 and 25,000 miles) but the engine kept running.

Cal the place I mentioned before and at least get a verbal estimate.

Which Ford van has a Triton 4.6/5.4 in it?