New trailer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ketch1387

Reaction score
Hey guys the wife and I are looking at upgrading our camper. We currently tow a 4700lb dry weight trailer (635lb tongue) with a 2015 Ford Expedition Platinum that does have the HD towing package. We run a Equalizer WD hitch on it and haven’t had any issues pulling the past couple years. We are looking to get into something more accommodating to our family but with that everything we’re finding is bigger. I have gone down the rabbit hole of what is recommended to tow but I’ve also seen smaller vehicles towing as much as us and same size trucks towing well more than what we’re looking to. The trailer we’re looking at is 6600lb dry. Just looking for anyone who is in or has been in a similar situation and how they felt about it.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I always suggest renting to try out different campers with your tow vehicle. I tow a Salem Cruise Light T282QBXL with my 2017 EL. I'm maxed out on payload. The 4th gens have several hundred lbs of additional payload, so upgrading vehicles could be an option.

CDNRabbit

Reaction score
I've got a 6600lb loaded TT and it pulls just fine. I've pulled heavier loads on flat beds (we don't need to say how heavy they were) and I couldn't tell the weight was there. Biggest factor is the wind resistant and lateral stability of the load. If you're not getting a taller/wider TT you probably won't notice a huge difference. I'm comfortable with TT in the high 7klb loaded range. But, like @JasonH said it's a good idea to do a test drive to be sure. And you can also upgrade wheels and suspension on the trailer to help with it's stability.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire