Newbie with sluggish expy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DMills

Reaction score
Hi all - new to the forum. Recently purchased a 2000 Expy with 105k miles to be used for weekend activities with the kids (hauling bikes, sports equipment, etc). It's a Florida car so it is rust free and structurally sound. I have a steering pump leak so I'll replace the pump this weekend. Also will be replacing plugs/caps, oil change, fuel filter...all the basics. The engine turns over great but does idle a little rough and has some lag when I get on the throttle. It almost feels like it's going to stall. I also smell gas a bit when I stop...thoughts on what this could be? Misfiring cylinder maybe? Hoping the plugs will help but appreciate any thoughts. THANK YOU in advance!!

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Welcome from this side of FL.

smell of fuel could be indicative of a plug getting ready to blow/eject...that was our (too late) tell-tale sign.

Would also clean/replace IAC, EGR, PCV, air cleaner etc. (your basics.)

PanHandler.

OP
OP
D

DMills

Reaction score
Damn, I hope that doesn't happen to me! Buying everything I need for tune up today, we'll see how it goes. I know I also need new tie rods, etc. Ball joints look like they've been replaced recently.

BakerEdition

EF Chaplain
Reaction score
its a cheap part to replace and mildly easy...throttle position sensor....could be your issue...My 2000 was open at 19% and I didnt know...no CEL...just a drop in fuel economy.