No instrument cluster illumination

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sent you the diagrams.

Check continuity from pin 10 - black wire / plug C220a to G200 ground (with the plug removed from cluster). Ground point is usually behind the kick panels. Do Not probe any pins on the connector other than the ground.

Sending another diag procedure. Totally unbelievable in the razzel dazzel bs to change the intensity of a light bulb compared to the old days.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

superduty4x4

Reaction score
Got the diagrams, thank you. Gone are the days of simplicity where you had a variable resistor that would increase/decrease output to the bulbs to control brightness, now we have a fancy PWM controller that does a bunch of smoke and mirrors nonsense to accomplish the same thing but takes 40 bazillion feet of wire and complex circuitry to do it!

One other thing I should add is that I do have the AutoEnginuity scan tool with the Ford enhanced package, I should probably hook that up and see if it can tell me anything.

OP
OP
S

superduty4x4

Reaction score
stamp11127, any idea if the AutoEnginuity scan tool will run the tests described in the diagnostics stuff you emailed me?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Doubt it, but you can check the harness for continuity on the specified pins and specific ohm readings when given.

Skauber

Full Access Members
Reaction score
42 bucks for a bulb? What, does it have a 24k gold filament and sapphire crystal glass or something?

lol, better buy Sylvania ones, you get them in pack of 2's for 4 bucks. :D

Skauber

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On that note, here in Philippines I asked how much they wanted for a new head unit. It's the premium "audiophile" 6 cd indash changer thing. They only wanted 5750 US dollars for it, the parts guy had to swallow before saying it and looked at me with disbelief.. hehe.. He called the people responsible for pricing which confirmed it... :p

OP
OP
S

superduty4x4

Reaction score
Just trying to make sure I find EXACTLY which bulb I need. I live in a small town and its a one hour drive each way to the big city with decent parts selection. I'm not at all confident new bulbs will fix my problem but finding another cluster is going to be difficult and expensive.

Skauber

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Best way to do that, remove a non-essential bulb and bring it to the store so you can use it to compare. They look like the sylvania #74 bulbs but i cabt say for sure