No key detected

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
S

Sandmanuva

Reaction score
Could it be the location of the key? I have had proximity keys not unlock doors before when they were close to other proximity keys.
Hadn’t thought about. I do often have the fob on the same chain as our other car fob, but not always. Might be a contributor, but not the only cause.

OP
OP
S

Sandmanuva

Reaction score
I don’t have an answer - but a similar problem.

I ordered and purchased a new 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4 with the push-button start.

Since new, intermittently the vehicle will display the “no key detected” message after I enter the vehicle with the key in my pocket and start the engine by pushing the button.

The message displays AFTER the vehicle starts. Sometimes, a second message appears (trailer wiring fault) - other times, it is just the no key detected warning.

When new, I took it to my selling Ford dealer twice for the issues. I was told since there was no trouble codes stored, there were no repairs warranted.

Several times I replaced the batteries in both fobs with new ones - with an expiration date years-out. It made no difference.

To this day, I randomly and intermittent receive the warning messages. I have never towed or even connected anything to the receiver, or the two different trailer electrical pin connectors.

I’ve given up on trying to figure out the problem. The vehicle has never not started, but displays the message AFTER the engine starts. I always have the fob in my left front pants’ pocket.

I’ve tried removing the fob when the message appears and moving it around with my hand - very close to the dash and push-button start switch. The engine continues to run and the message remains until I clear it (or shut the engine off).
Sounds very similar. Car will sometimes start and about 5 sec later show the no key detected message. Hasn’t happened again since replacing the battery a couple weeks ago. Fingers crossed. Did a Duracell.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds very similar. Car will sometimes start and about 5 sec later show the no key detected message. Hasn’t happened again since replacing the battery a couple weeks ago. Fingers crossed. Did a Duracell.

This month I have had my Expedition for nine years. Since its purchase, it displays the “no key detected” message randomly.

It has to be some type of defect with the vehicle and/or its computer code system.

I’ve given up on trying to figure it out. I just chalked it up to poor Ford quality with the Ford dealer unable to troubleshoot without a trouble code.

gergnamenorg

Reaction score
after looking i found several sources that indicated LED lights could be causing interference with the remote. in addition to key not detected i was also having issue with door lock but only when lights were on after exiting truck... so i decided to start removing any LED's i had installed. and after taking out the license plate lights ... BAM! the door lock issue stopped and I have not had a key not detected since. i will follow up after a few days to confirm.

gergnamenorg

Reaction score
I am going to call this SOLVED. if you are having any issues with remote and have aftermarket LEDs I suggest you find the offender and trash it. I still have LED's inside and in backup & brake/turn so some are OK and some are no bueno. hope this helps someone!

OP
OP
S

Sandmanuva

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing this. I hadn’t heard of LED interference. Good thing to check. I don’t have any aftermarket LEDs, but I can confirm the problem has not come up again after switching to a fresh Duracell battery in the key.