Normal sounds? 5.4 3V new to me.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

richs fishes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Worn chain guides or leaking tensioners "rattle" for a several seconds at startup. Phasors can sound like a diesel engine clammoring. Worn rockers make loud tapping like bad lifters on a pushrod engine.

I get what I guess I would call "ticking" for a few seconds at startup but only when cold. Sort of also sounds a bit like a diesel. I initially thought this was possibly a bad exhaust manifold and/or gasket as it kind of sounds like an exhaust leak but now I'm thinking its either the tensioner or the phasers or maybe both. Either way my noises seem to disappear once the engine is warmed up.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get what I guess I would call "ticking" for a few seconds at startup but only when cold. Sort of also sounds a bit like a diesel. I initially thought this was possibly a bad exhaust manifold and/or gasket as it kind of sounds like an exhaust leak but now I'm thinking its either the tensioner or the phasers or maybe both. Either way my noises seem to disappear once the engine is warmed up.

Phasers get louder when warm and the oil heats up if that’s an issue. It’s possible you have a manifold leak, I had both of mine replaced this spring because of ticking and noises when cold which was because of snapped manifold studs on the passenger side. I just had both replaced at that point.

richs fishes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Phasers get louder when warm and the oil heats up if that’s an issue. It’s possible you have a manifold leak, I had both of mine replaced this spring because of ticking and noises when cold which was because of snapped manifold studs on the passenger side. I just had both replaced at that point.

Definitely need to do some more investigating then! So your manifolds were leaking only when cold? About how long would they still be audible after startup?

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Definitely need to do some more investigating then! So your manifolds were leaking only when cold? About how long would they still be audible after startup?

About 30-40 seconds of very loud, after a minute start to quiet up. As it got worse it stayed louder even after warm up. When it’s just starting to go it’s more of a ticking until it heats up and the gasket seals.

OP
OP
Bill Schmidt

Bill Schmidt

Reaction score
Update.

I know some people said my engine sounded fine ... but I found a video on youtube from FordTechMacuLoco and on the the passenger side ticking sound. It sure sounded like my engine.

So I have a GREAT mechanic (Plug: Starky Auto, Omaha) Who for a couple hundred buck took off the passenger side cover and took the cam shaft out and inspected the roller followers and cam.

Result ... NO problem. It was super clean in the engine and no sludge which I feared. The roller followers (which can make the ticking sound) a few might have had some very slight bearing wear (very slight looseness) but no wear on the cam nor on the rollers.

In order to do that they need a timing belt holder which wedges down between the belts and only works if the timing belt tensioners are good. So they inspected that too and all good.

Very happy.

Side note looked like original cam phasers in the engine as well and they are in pretty good shape as well.

He took some pictures so I'll see if I can get them.

Ended up paying around $1200 all told because had him do some other work.

Front Differential rebuild, replaces some bearings which when driving sounded like dragging a cardboard box under the vehicle.

Fixed a O2 sensor which was giving me P2096 error check engine (Post Cat Fuel Trim System too lean Bank 1)

Fixed a broken vacuum line which was feeding the passenger front hub for 4x4 ... (don't know if this lead to more wear on the front differential bearings???)

Runs like a champ now and more importantly have the peace of mind of knowing exactly the state of the engine so I can get into the 300K+ club someday. :)

Thanks for all feedback.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad everything checked out. The passenger side top end is the last on the oil feed run so they generally run a tad louder on that side than the right side. This is demonstrated on both old 2 valves and newer 3 valves if you listen close. As long as it’s nottapping/knocking from under there you’re ok.

Last edited:

Bobmc

Reaction score
My new to me 2010 (145k) sounds like that as well, perhaps a little less loud. Started to worry a bit; I'll ignore it unless it gets worse.

Thanks for posting.